Final overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not be afraid to buy from SVC.com They have many things cheap that newegg does not have. SVC is a good site and sell case mods, cooling, and other things very safe and cheap. I highly recommend them since shipping isn't 4.99 each like newegg.

I decided to get my current mobo becuase it overclocked well for 105 bucks. However it lacks features and looks that I now want and will need so I'm getting a new one. First pick your chipset you want in a motherboard such as the 965, 975, 650i, 680i. Then ask around on what is a good mobo for your needs in that chipset. If you want good overclocking capabilities then ask what is a good mobo to overclock in this chipset.

B1gapl has already suggested the 650i chipset which is very good and the MSI P6N, P5N-E, or P6N Platinum are all great boards in that chipset.

I've got the P5N-E, and I'm very happy. Yes, it does have a lack of features. But it doesn't bother me. lol....I bought it, at the time, when it was the first 650i, motherboard out. I just wanted to try something new, instead of having the same DS3, as mostly everybody else.

Oh Sora, if you are getting the P5N-E, use the black ram slots. I believe, the yellow ones, are a little buggy. Unless, a BIOS update fixed them. Or a new revision.

I know, i've read several times that sli is not worth it, but with that aside, any suggestions on a mb that supports sli at x16, x16 (which is also a good board in other aspects... o/c, etc...)? I've noticed the msi plat. only supports it at x8, x8.

The 650i chipset, which supports SLI x8 x8, has been proven in reviews, that it outperforms it's bigger brother, 680i which supports the full x16, in SLI performance.

MSI P6N Plat FTW!

Actually it is x16 and then x8 I believe. This does not matter since even at whatever speed the 650i chipset runs at. It gets actually BETTER FPS with SLI 8800GTX's than the full x16, x16 680i.

Thanks. Im just looking at sli and 2 8800gts (gtx is a bit too much $) for the future, probably to play crysis at max or near max and of course all newer games to come in the future. Im only going with 1 8800gts as of right now.

I know im dragging this mb thing along, but this (Newegg.com - ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail) looks like the best bet, sli at x16 x16 with the 650i chipset. Plus it overclocks, etc... I know what mb's have been suggested, the story behind each, but this looks good for future sli. I read in the link b1gapl posted that its "not a true full sli" because of the bridge used, im not sure if this matters but this is the only mb I can find with full sli and 650i, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom