mouse wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
i'm using XP PRO corp SP2.

The install is a bit screwed and I just tried a repair install to fix it - some improvements but some new problems too.

I have installed SP2 and IE7 but am unable to use windows update becasue it errors - I've tried all of the things suggested but no go.

Mouse does not work, wont power up when plugged into the USB port. Tried to install driver but setup.exe wont run (access denied) even when runas administrator. Tried installing the usb drivers from the mobo disk + latest nforce drivers.

poking around I noticed COM+ was completely screwed so i followed this article to reinstall it PRB: Cannot Expand "My Computer" in Component Services MMC Snap-In but it give an error part way though the reinstall.

Any ideas how I can atleast get the mouse working? Using mouse keys is going to drive me nuts.

Edit: oh and i've applied the compatible workstation template in both gpedit and local security policy

edit2: nothing wrong with mouse, tried 3 differnt ones, all work with my laptop

Edit3: managed to get automatic updates running - installing updates now

Edit: ok, so i feel dumb now, USB driver wasnt selected in device manager - mouse working. Still, any suggestions about COM+ welcome

OK, finally fixed COM+

For anyone else with the same problem follow these two kb articles:

Systems that have changed the default Access Control List permissions on the %windir%\registration directory may experience various problems after you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC

then

PRB: Cannot Expand "My Computer" in Component Services MMC Snap-In

this restores default permissions on the COM+ catalogue then reinstalls COM+

Edit: Actually this seems to be a better way of reinstalling COM+

To repair a damaged COM+ catalog, do the following:

1. Locate the file %WinDir%\System32\Clbcatq.dll and rename it to ~Clbcatq.dll (note the tilde). %Windir% is an environment variable that usually translates to C:\Windows.
2. Reboot the computer in Safe Mode.
3. Open the Registry and delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\COM3.
4. Look in the %WinDir% directory for a subdirectory named Registration. Delete Registration entirely, including any files inside it.
5. Reboot the machine normally.
6. At a command line, type regsvr32 %windir%\system32\ole32.dll, and click OK on the acknowledgement that comes up.
7. Open Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components.
8. Click Next to reinstall COM+. You do not need to select any components to add or remove; COM+ is reinstalled automatically as a matter of course.

You shouldn't have to reboot after this; the re-registered COM+ services should work immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom