Graphic card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemar1

Baseband Member
I just installed a Radeon 7000 card to replace my xabre 200. I did this to take advantage of my lcd monitors natural res.. I uninstalled the on board and drivers and installed the new card and drivers . All went well until I had to restart. Once it started to boot up I got a blue screen. I fixed that but everytime I try and do anything the computer freezes. I tried posting this last night but after trying 3 times and having the puter freeze on me I gave up. I think I may have a conflict. I tried researching this but didn't get very far due to the freezing (about 10 times in half an hour). I finally removed the card which is why I am able to post this. Could anyone advise me on what I should due. Would a bios update help me? I tried to update the drivers in the new card but again it would just freeze up.

I just installed a Radeon 7000 card to replace my xabre 200. I did this to take advantage of my lcd monitors natural res.. I uninstalled the on board and drivers and installed the new card and drivers . All went well until I had to restart. Once it started to boot up I got a blue screen. I fixed that but everytime I try and do anything the computer freezes. I tried posting this last night but after trying 3 times and having the puter freeze on me I gave up. I think I may have a conflict. I tried researching this but didn't get very far due to the freezing (about 10 times in half an hour). I finally removed the card which is why I am able to post this. Could anyone advise me on what I should due. Would a bios update help me? I tried to update the drivers in the new card but again it would just freeze up.

Sounds like a resource conflict, did you ever disable the onboad video card in BIOS? Maybe a BIOS update might help but try disabling onboard video in BIOS.

The step is to uninstall it in Windows, reboot, go into BIOS, disable the onboard video, set AGP as primary video controller, save and exit, then power it down holding the power button. Install your AGP card, power up, go into Windows, try and get the latest driver if you could.

I uninstalled the original drivers in windows but I didn't see anything in the bios where I could disable the video card. There is a big yellow question mark in my device manager for the video card. I'm a bit of a novice with computers and usually have problems when i try to take on something myself.
I felt a video card install would be a piece of cake, but no.
I have 3 pci slots. Would it help if I tried the card in a different slot?

I uninstalled the original drivers in windows but I didn't see anything in the bios where I could disable the video card. There is a big yellow question mark in my device manager for the video card. I'm a bit of a novice with computers and usually have problems when i try to take on something myself.
I felt a video card install would be a piece of cake, but no.
I have 3 pci slots. Would it help if I tried the card in a different slot?

Is it a PCI video card or AGP?

I just re-installed the card in a different slot and booted up and installed the software, I then updated the drivers which I didn't do last time because I restarted the system first and then couldn't do anything. I'm going to reboot now and see what happens . I'll check the bios again to see if it says anything about disabling the onboard card. Hopefully I won't have anymore freezing

I just rebooted. Normal boot wouldn't work. After the black screen comes up that says windows xp it just goes to a blank blue screen with the mouse cursor on and stays there. It won't go to the welcome screen. I had to boot with the last known good settings bu I can't use the new card.
I'm really at my wits end with this thing. It seems like alot of trouble just for a nicer screen resolution. It's been 2 days of playing around. If I can't get this right in the next couple of hours, I'm just gonna take the new card out and return it and forget about a new video card. I'll just use the money for a bigger hard drive, but I'll pay someone to put that in. I think my DIY computer upgrades are over.
Any suggestions before I throw in the towel?

It seems like windows just doesn't like the card that you have, it is possible that there is a hardware fault on the card, and when windows tries to initialize it, it hangs. I would suggest that you take it back and get another card and see if you have any luck with that.

Thanks for the replies, I've uninstalled the card and am going to take it back. Do you think a different card might work. I thought maybe I'd have the same problem with any card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom