Just Formatted laptop hard drive....need help with dvd cd rom support!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haddorh

Solid State Member
Hello......I just recently formatted my laptop's hard drive using Fdisk/format. It was running Windows XP Home Edition. After i formatted i rebooted my laptop...and put in my boot disk......However......I select "START COMPUTER WITH CD-ROM SUPPORT"....it begins to load the oak universal driver....then it says...."No Drives found, aborting installation".....(by the way my drive is a DVD-ROM...will that universal oak driver work?) Well, I can't get my dvd drive to work to reload windows xp. Does anyone know which files (like config.sys or Autoexec.bat) or what files i need to get my drive to work? i tried loading my driver....but my laptop just isnt recognizing my drive. I think that when i formatted my hard drive...it wiped off some important files that the dvd drive used to work. Anyone got any ideas? or what files i need?

THx in advance.....help would be appreciated :D

your dvd drive should work fine. Optical drives do not need drivers to work...
Windows XP is a bootable cd-rom so all you need to do is:
1.) insert the windows XP cdrom
2)go into the bios (by pressing del usually) and change the boot order so that the cd-rom is the first device to boot
3)save changes and reset
4) when it boots up it should ask you to press any key to boot from the cdrom
5)press any key
6) have fun settin up windows

ok.....thx for the reply.....but the thing is, when i change the boot order......It doesnt boot from cd....it just skips it for some reason......As of right now my laptop acts like there is no cd/dvd drive connected. but when i put cd in it spins...reves up rpm's, then stays at constant speed. i am so sick of messing with this thing...got any other ideas?

have u used that disk to boot from be4? if not it might no be bootable from. what u could try is gettin the windows xp boot disk prgram which will let u make floppies to boot from then will continue installtion from the disk

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

pick the right one for u if uve got home or pro and got s1a or not. hope i sloves it.

make sure u have 6 floppies cos its pointlessly large and very slow :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom