My possible build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the RAM selection -- I'm making that change, thanks.

With the powersupply, I think I may switch to the rosewell as well.

The motherboard I plan on getting is fine, the ASUS one is a bit too rich for my blood.

Like I said before about the dx10 cards, I'm not willing to invest my money in a first gen card, and I also don't want to spend more than 200 dollars on a video card which is why I am going for the x1950. From what I have read I see that the x1950 handles games just as nicely as the 7900gs, and better with half life 2, which is still currently my favorite game.

For the sound card, I know that I don't need one but I have noticed the improvement that even a "low end" one makes compared to onboard sound.

I would still like to know about the bearlake chipset, cause I also have this plan on the back of my mind. I'd like to get one of the new motherboards, buy the cheapest core 2 I can find and wait until a yorkfield quad core gets released so I can upgrade to that. But that all depends on the release dates, I don't want to wait forever.

I guess it looks like I will be going with that second plan then, maybe get an allendale core 2 duo and use that until the yorkfields come out.

From what I have read I see that the x1950 handles games just as nicely as the 7900gs, and better with half life 2, which is still currently my favorite game.

Just as nicley when stock. Did the mention that the 7900GS overclocks easily from 450/620 to 600/800? At those speeds it faster than the X1950PRO and easily best the X1950GT.

HOWEVER This is a better deal since it is FASTER than the X1950GT despite being only an X1900GT and cheaper. Regardless in the end the 7900GS overclocks easy and beats both, but for HL2 any is fine.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO Video Card - Retail

Yah, I initially had that in my list, but since it went out of stock I changed it (maybe temporarily) with the card I had above. If that is available when I orde I do plan on getting that one though.

I also am not a big overclocker if I haven't mentioned that before.

It will be back 6/4/07 it says which is only a week so it's cool.

Overclocking video cards are so easy lol...CPU's are easy as well but a card all you do is hit a button in ATI tool.

Yeah I know how to overclock and I have done it before, but I only do it when I am more or less forced to. It makes no difference to me if I can play a game at 80 frames instead of 70 frames, or put a little bit higher settings on. Like I said, I pretty much just want to be able to play the game smoothly with settings that keep the integrity of the game -- if that makes any sense.

Yes I do heh but games become more powerful and that overclock could be the difference of 50 frames and 60 frames as well which is a good bit. Regardless the X1900 series doesn't overclock that well and if you get an X1900GT then it won't matter too much lol.

I don't see the x1900/x1950's not being able to play games coming out in a year or so. By then I see the second generation dx10 cards coming out, and I do plan to buy a mid-high end one of those. I heard the 9800 series is supposed to coming out around this christmas.... so who knows. ****, if the hd 2600xt impresses me enough I think I may go for that, but I was dissapointed at ATI's decision to make it 128 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom