Opening Laptop Screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShackledPhoenix

In Runtime
I recently purchased an older dell laptop (Latitude C400). Basically it's for portable typing and screwing around with so I'm not concerned about breaking it really. Anywho's I'm modding the case for fun, everything's going great, but I want to actually carve out a piece of the top of the case, behind the Display. Since I've never opened that part of a laptop before, is there anything I should know beforehand? Special tools? Anything going to fall out if I do so?

I'm going to break out the dremel tool, carve the outline of a phoenix into the plastic, replace the missing piece with white plastic and backlight it with UV LEDs.

Google might be of more assistance than some of us on here, but definitely let us know how it goes :)

Be very careful and take your time at doing it. the monitor is usually very touchy and the wires are also. I would do it over some time so you don't get ahead of yourself. Its a good idea all but for the LCD has a backlight so if you wanted to but leds it might mess with something behind there. (bleed some of the UV light throw the screen?) The best beat is to paint it on the case and not carve it. Al tho its a great idea i don't think you can get a led behind there and plus be able to stop it from interfering with the lcd.

I personally have not token it apart so i don't know the exact its in there but i do know that lcds have back lights so i am assuming they do also.

Hmm you bring up a good point. Could prolly get a thin piece of black plastic to place behind the LEDs so they don't bleed through. I'll have to see when I get the back off (Waiting for an artist friend to finish the outline for me.).

But yeah... hadn't thought of that. *Runs off to touch up her plans*

Well behind the lcd i know there isn't a lot of space. I really don't think you can fit a led behind there with 2 pieces of plastic. Its a great idea however i am unsure. if you can fit it in there i would tape all around the back piece to make it stay there and to stop any and all light form going out of the edges or anything.

Be carefull...LCD means liquid crystal display, soooo you can guess whats inside, i suggest not messing around with the different layers inside the screen because thats wat gives you different colours, but seeing as its a pile of crap just break it lol

All I'm doing is removing the back casing, I'm not actually screwing with the monitor. my 3mm LED's fit fine and I'm using 16 guage wires running from the fan power to the LEDs (Tested this, fan still keeps same temps). A sheet of black plastic film (about as thick as a sheet of paper) is providing backing to keep the LED's from bleeding through.
As for the white plastic, I'm actually filling the hole with it, not backing the hole with it. All I'm waiting on atm is for a more artistically inclined friend to finish the outline for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom