performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
I was just playing Rome total war on my gaming rig an I got lag :( It was quite a big battle 5000 troops and the settings were maxed but I am still surprised the 8800GTS can't handle all games at max settings. btw I slaughtered the enemies lost 700 killed 4763 enemies my best score so far has been 1 casualty 453 enemies killed got to love hit and run tactics with archers and a phalanx of spearmen :D

That is not your GPU when you get that many enemies, it is your CPU. I don't know what your E6600 is clocked at but when you are playing RTS games such as Rome and Midevil the CPU has to process every little figure. RTS games right now are pretty much the only games that quad-core helps with, but not much.

ooooo didn't know that so its my cpu that's slowing me down :( I suppose when you have to manage over 5000 individual soldiers who move separately and have individual responses to there surroundings you do strain your computer. I was just surprised that I had lag I thought it was some magical thing that would never occur to me anymore. my cpu is clocked at 3.2 atm I am still doing my case mod so haven't had time to push it much further

Could it also do with the resolution too? I mean at a, high resolution, with all those soldiers, would lag alot too, right?

Yes your CPU is what is getting you now. RTS games have lots of figures that the CPU has to process and games haven't been threaded that well yet for multiple cores. If the game used 100% on both cores then you wouldn't have lag but we aren't in that point of time yet.

yeah everytime i got speedfan open i look at my cores, only the first to cores ever get used, sometimes i see alittle movement

Do those games even support dual core processing? If they do there should be almost no problems with computing the whereabouts of your objects. Like you said it only uses the one core. Therefore that is more than likely your bottleneck. Soon enough games with start support dual core processing more and more, and then we won't have to worry about these kinds of things :)

This is strange because my freind has a 2GHz celeron, 1gb DDR ram and a GeForce 4 MX 440 and he can play this game and he has never had any lagg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom