help w/ newbie overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraider5

Baseband Member
i have a p4 2.4c, and i was messing around with the oc'ing today.

im using the gigabyte program easyturn4, so im not accessing the bios. i can turn the speed bus up so that i have 2.6 stable, but when i put the bus up to 217, so that i can get 2.8, it becomes unstable. ive read many things about the 2.4c being able to clock way past the 3.0 mark. what's wrong?

im using a zalman fan (as u can see in my sig) and i was told itd be good for this

i wouldnt recommend using easytune4 for overclocking. Try using the bios. Somewhere in there you will be able to control the FSB settings. Remember though, only go up in like 5 Mhz increments. Overclocking can be very stressful on your chip, and if your not careful can cause it to fry.
Also remember that not all chips are the same. You might have the exact same chip as someone else, yet they are able to overclock theirs dramatically, while you cant.

well chang them by about 5. make sure your computer starts up fine. run a few applications (maybe a couple of games) and make sure its okay. Once you notice it becoming unstable (also you should keep an eye on the temperature and make sure its not getting too high. Stop and take it back a step. Once your happy with the step its on, run a few stress tests on it to make sure its completely stable.

well, i accessed the bios. it says:

Linear Frequency Control:
- CPU Clock (MHz): 100
- DRAM Clock(MHz): 200

im guessing im changing the DRAM? Because i have a 2.4 which means its 200 x 12, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom