PC won't Boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

intent

Solid State Member
Greetings All,

About a week ago, I woke up with my 2nd PC turned off (it was on when I went to bed) it didn't register to me that anything was wrong till I went to turn it on and it told me I didn't have a operating system.

So the first thing I thought was there was a CD in the CD Rom Drive and the BIOS was pointing there first. So I popped out the disc and checked the BIOS told it to boot to C first.

Still no operating system

I played around and noticed there was no hard drive at all in the BIOS so figured the hard drive had died. So I replaced the hard drive it still wasn't showing in the BIOS so I reset the CMOS by popping out the battery overnight and the next day the Hard drive was there. I only have 1 DVD drive and should have a DVD and a DVD RW but figured ok that I can fix after I get into Windows.

Next problem....I put in my Windows XP Disc I get to the blue screen to setup windows (I had reset the BIOS to boot from CD First at this point) it gets to the point that I hit F8 to accept then it tells me that it can't read my disc or perhaps that it is a upgrade version and asks for Windows 98 NT or 2000 (I know it is a Full Version of XP and I have used it many times to reformat this machine) so the problem I am having is how do I get it to recognize the disc to get past this point. There is no scratches or anything on the disc that would make it unreadable.

Does anyone have any suggestions ideas on how to fix it?

It is a Compaq Presario 5000
1.2 gig processor
768 megs of Ram
*Full Version of Windows XP Profession Disc* (Not using Compaq Restore Disc)
I had stopped using Compaq Restore Disc on it when Windows XP came out about 6 months after I purchased the machine.

It is my backup machine and it isn't like I would be if I would lose my main machine (shudders the thought....actually setting up Raid 0 on my main this week just for this reason lol) but I am not ready to replace it quite yet so would like to get it working. I looked for any signs of damage on the mother board or processor and there wasn't any. It sounded like the hard drive was getting louder the last couple days before it quit working though.

So I am not sure if there is something else that is wrong ....could it be something simple that when I was hooking up the hard drive I didn't get the cords plugged in right or perhaps messed up the DVD Cords?

I have tried the Hard Drive on Master and Cable Select both. (Hoping that it would work on one or the other....but I am thinking now that it is more a problem with the DVD Drives then the hard drive. Although I am just not sure.

Thanks in advance!!!

Well i did think it would be your hard drive, are you sure you have all your cable connected right. The next think i would check is if there is any power going to your hard drive

If it is showing up in the BIOS as the right Hard Drive then it has to be getting power doesn't it and have the cables hooked up right? I am 99.9 percent sure the cables are hooked up right but I hadn't thought of the power option I just assumed since the BIOS saw it then the hard drive was booting up.

I didn't change anything with the CD Rom although my secondary CDRom isn't showing up in the BIOS at all for some reason. It is a DVD RW Drive.

I have never had a problem with this Windows disc before so I am not sure why all of a sudden I am having a issue.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom