strange black screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashychap

Beta member
Ok so here is the story, ive got a Maxdata Amd athlon64 3500+ with 1gb ram. The pc came with a pants geforce 4000mx 64meg graphics card that i tried to play my only 2 games on - quake 4 and warhammer40000 dawn of war (dow). Dow would play but a bit choppy but quake 4 just couldn't cope and it would just stall on the menu screen. strange thing was that if i updated the graphics card driver then quake 4 would run albeit very very choppy but then Dow wouldn't run i would just get a black screen with sound, no intro video, no menu, nothing.
So i updated my graphics card to a Palit Geforce 7600gs AGP (no PCIE slot) but basically got the same problem of the black screen on dow. I has since bought 2 more games - Warhammer mark of chaos and a basic game for my son called design your own model railway. But both of these games just have a black screen with sound. I have tried re-installing the games, updating them, installing the latest video drivers and have even re-installed windows but to no avail. I also installed a new 500w power supply at the same time as my graphics card (well e few weeks after) just wondered if anything could have happened there.
so thats everything, just hoping someone could shed some light on it!
thanks

Are you using an older Monitor? I don't know if this is the problem or not, but maybe the games are trying to run in a higher resolution or refresh rate than your monitor supports.

use driver cleaner to clean out the old driver in safe mode after uninstalling then install the latest driver from nvidia

no i have tried that, checked my monitors usable refresh rates in control panel, changed it on the nvidia control panel and even tried overiding it to 50hz on the direct x panel and no joy.
the monitor is only a crt but not more than 3 years old cos it was my friends ld one he lelt me cos i fried my lcd monitor by having it in the conservatory:eek:

What is a good driver cleaner to use?

Did i mention though that the weird thing is that quake 4 runs like a dream and it is only the other games that i get a black screen on.

downloaded driver cleaner pro 5.1 and cleaned all the nvidia sections then instead of installing the drivers from mycard cd i used a driver off a recent games magazine.
Still no joy
just cant see why quake4 works but nothing else does, what does it do different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom