Raid Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungleland

Baseband Member
I have one IDE and two SATA drives..

I'm not even sure how RAID works or what the benefits are, so I would love some help on whether or not I want to setup all of this...

I can put my OS on any drive, IDE or SATA

My MB is an ASUS p5n32-e sli

thanks for the help..

That motherboard only supports RAID on the SATA drives (without an add-in card). You can do a RAID 0 setup with the 2 SATA drives, which will make it ONE logical 500 Gig drive, but if ONE drive fails, ALL of the data will be lost. In a RAID 1 setup, the drives are mirrored, so you will LOSE 250 Gigs of space, but if one of the drives fails, you will still have your data on the other drive.

You don't have enough drives for RAID 5, you need at least 3.

That motherboard only supports RAID on the SATA drives (without an add-in card). You can do a RAID 0 setup with the 2 SATA drives, which will make it ONE logical 500 Gig drive, but if ONE drive fails, ALL of the data will be lost. In a RAID 1 setup, the drives are mirrored, so you will LOSE 250 Gigs of space, but if one of the drives fails, you will still have your data on the other drive.

You don't have enough drives for RAID 5, you need at least 3.

thanks for the reply..

So I would need to FORMAT both SATA Drives?

Is there any performance benefit in using a RAID 0 SETUP vs standard SATA?

RAID is intended for an environment where systems require constant uptime, therefore in the event of a drive failure a second drive will have mirrored the data and take over for the dead drive, while the dead drive is replaced. Once a new drive is installed, the RAID should write back over the other drive automatically.

The only exception would be a RAID 0 which is probably most popular among home and casual users. RAID 0 will not archive data and is instead designed with the intention of decreasing seek and load times. If you want speed, I would recommend simply using a 10,000RPM drive.

OK, I know that in RAID 0, if one dies or fails, all the data between the two hard drives is lost. But does that make the hard drive, that didn't die or fail, useless? Or could you just format it?

Yes, the data unusable because it's split in half, but as long as the drive is still in working condition you can still format and reuse the drive.

RAID 0 IMO is a better option than a single 10000rpm drive unless you have the money. You are getting a noticeable increase in performance and cut down load times and pretty much 10 times the storage...I like that ratio,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom