Two VGA sources into one monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazzer3

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I haven't been around for a while, I'm sure no one remembers me anyhow, but I've been having a pondering thought that I cannot seem to justify through google.

I've been wanting to connect two sources to my Dell E196FP, (19" 1280x1024) monitor for a while now, and I was wondering if there is actually a product that will do this, as I cannot see it being that hard.

So, basically, I'm just wondering if you know of a 'switcher' like product that takes two sources of video, and outputs them to one port, and then can switch them I guess..?!

Thanks a lot,

Charlie -

Cool, thanks, I assume they will work if you just use them for video? Or is it something where you have to use it for the kb and mouse as well!?

Charlie -

On some you can hook up keyboard/mouse. It'd just take 1 keyboard/mouse to run things, so you can just double tab a key on the keyboard to switch PC's. Not sure if you can do it w/out a single keyboard though... Haven't tried that out.

I think you have to hook a single keyboard/mouse up to it. Because on the ones that I've seen, there's 2 ps/2 ports. One for the mouse/one for the keyboard, and you double-tap a key on the single keyboard to make the KVM switch switch the monitor from one PC to another. Haven't tried it by just hooking the monitor/pc's to the switch, and just leaving them have their own kb/mouse. I'm almost positive that it won't work that way, tho.

You can still have a separate mouse and keyboard with each PC. A lot of KVM switches let you switch between PC's on the unit itself.

Though most KVM switches include a mouse and keyboard port

You can still have a separate mouse and keyboard with each PC. A lot of KVM switches let you switch between PC's on the unit itself.

Ah, ok. Well I wasn't sure, cuz I hadn't ever done that.

BTW, sorry for the double post... First post wasn't being displayed for some reason after I posted it =\.

I have looked at a bunch (about a year ago), and EVERY ONE I saw used a switch or selector, or piece of hardware on the switch itself to select the input....

Anyways, some monitors allow for dual inputs (if you look for monitors in the future)... My 19" Sony monitor has DVI & VGA input, and I can switch between the sources with the touch of a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom