Upgrading to XP pro question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I have a friend that wants to give his older computer to his mother. It is a Compaq and he has since upgraded to XP pro form ME. Anyway I was doing a reinstall using the upgrade disc he has when it ran into and error that a google search did nothing to find. I lost the paper I had the message written on but the search pulled up nothing. Well, I had to quit the reinstall but now when I go to retry again it is telling me I need to reinstall the original ME from Compaq before I go on. Problem is they can't seem to find the original disc. What can a person do to get it to go or are we out of luck?

There's one article on seeing a clean install of XP with an upgrade disk only found at the link here that may help. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

"If you are attempting to clean install with a Windows XP Home or Pro Upgrade CD, you will see this screen, which requires you to insert your previous Windows CD in order to verify that you qualify for the Upgrade version.
Curiously, it says that you can use CDs from Windows NT 3.51 and Windows 95 in addition to those from 98, 98 SE, Millennium, or 2000, though these products cannot be upgraded to XP.

Once you've proven that you qualify, hit ENTER to continue."

Safe to delete additional posts failed to appear in new post section earlier. Please delete

find your key in your computer download a windows key finder and changer or whatever download me and re-install using your legit key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom