My genius university idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arumuni

In Runtime
Hey guys,

Okay, so I don't know how genius the title itself is, but in a few months I'm off to University and I had an idea of how to possibly help myself out.

I'm going to be purchasing a laptop in the next few months. So I thought of basically buying a very good (but also moderately priced) laptop camera with audio capabilities. So during lectures while the professor would be talking, I would basically video record him talking. However, with the audio capabilities of the camera, I would also be using some sort of "talk-to-text" software to get everything he says on a word processor such as MS Word. Now I'm a bit iffy on speech recognition software, but does anyone know how well it works in this day and age?

Also, is this a decent idea or what? And potential problems with this idea?

Cheers.

There was a policy where I went that prohibited any kind of recording in the classroom. No cameras, no tape, nothing.
It might work though. Dunno about the voice to text thing. I had a program for that and you had to spend a long time with it "teaching" it your voice patterns.

A few things wrong with this.

1) Most likely he'll be too far away for the speech to text program to work correctly, and even if you were close enough, the program wouldn't do a very good job.

2) If you planned on doing this with every teacher in every class, you better have a lot of storage.

3) If you plan on doing it this way instead of taking notes, you're going to be spending a LOT of time watching the videos again and you're just going to get severely bored.

4) You're going to get sick of doing it this way, guaranteed.

I just got done with my first year of college and found it to be, unfortunately, very similar to high school, just with less restrictions. Just take notes in class.

Hrm...you both make good points...

I guess it was pretty impractical seeing as how someone would have done it already if it would be beneficial.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom