FTP the right way

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
My friend is fairly new to the techie scene but he wants to set up and ftp server. I have already gotten him up and running with a free VNC client so he doesn't need to be at the server to administer it. But he is lost on FTP. I have never done it before so I'm not much help. Can anyone lead em to a good free ftp program for him? And a tutorial how to set it up and use it that he can understand? BTW this machine runs windows 2000 professional. Thanks for all the help!

doesnt firefox have a ftp plugin?

try this
i haven't done real ftp but ive done some ftp for a website id made a while back

I use War FTP Daemon, it's easy to configure, has a complete GUI interface, and is dead simple to operate. I run it on an old P133 64MB RAM Windows 98 SE and it works awesome. You can set up a user database so that each user gets their own permissions, like which folders and drives they can access, and whether they can upload or not. It supports accessing drives, I have my floppy drive online :) and 2 partitions. I'm sure it'd run on Win2k...in fact I think I installed it on my Win2k laptop...

War FTP Daemon

I use it on my P133 64MB RAM Win98SE FTP server, it has a dead simple GUI with user database, can access any drive, each user has their own set of permissions, and it works well. Google "War FTP Daemon" to find it, I forgot the link. It should run on the comp in question, if it runs on a P133 (and actually a P75 16MB Win95 that I had before I got the 133).

I use WAR FTP Daemon, it's awesome! It runs great even on ancient hardware, like the Pentium 133 64MB with Win98SE that I'm running it on, and has a dead simple GUI interface with a "User Database" that allows you to config each user to have their own set of available folders/drives and read/write permissions.

Actually, I ran it for a few months on a Pentium 75 w/ 16MB RAM and Win95 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom