WinXpOS/Harddrive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

new3tech4

Beta member
I got an HP P3 800Mhz (free, salvage) it didn't have a harddrive nor a factory restore disk but has a COA sticker for windows Me and i installed a 250Gig harddrive (its the only one i had available), so the question is how do i retrieve Windows Me without having to purchase a full version of Me OS?

Second issue, for the time being i installed Windows Xp (30day trial version thing, 'i think its an upgrade' not registered yet) to verify that the computer works. and it did. The OS installation went through, but when i rebooted the system and all the hardware was detected and the windows xp screen came up (where its loading), afterwards the screen just goes black (no picture). The monitor is working. So what would more likely to be the problem? i'm thinking its the large HD, or its configuration? any ideas?

HDD is the problem. Back then the HDD capacity was maxed out at 130GB. So having a 250GB in there is adversly affecting your system. Have to update the BIOS. If there is even one available.

As for ME..well you can download it. It is considered abandonware and is freely shared now. But you are better off sticking with XP. ME was the worst OS EVER released.

Ok, i had some advise from another source which advised that i change the HDD settings from LBA to large and reboot the system. That didn't work. So i did a fresh installation with those setting (large), plus i partitioned the drive to use 120GB and it still didn't work. I haven't tried another HDD, (which i'm thinking is bad). So before i swap another harddrive, Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom