4 pin 12V on PSU, 8 pin on MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
I got this eVGA mobo and it has an 8 pin 12V connector that I assume is for the CPU. It says PWR 2 next to it.

The PSU has a 4 pin connector. Do you only plug it into 4 and leave 4 open? And if so, which 4?

Read the manual.. If you can do it like you suggesting then the manual will inform you. But, My guess is you can't and you need an 8 pin connector. Find an online FAQ for that board and find out if you can use some type of converter. If not, and in the worst case you will have to buy another power supply with a native 8 Pin Connector.

Well, its an eVGA and I like their vid cards, but their manual blows. The manual is a single sheet of paper for their mobo.

On the page, here is step 5 (of 7 steps) containing the power cable information:

"Next you will connect power cables to the motherboard and other peripherals that are connected to the motherboard. *Remember to plug in your 6 pin PCI-E power cables to your graphics card if necessary."

THAT IS IT.

I just plugged the 4 pin into the 8 pin and it powers up, but will a problem occur from that? I will order a 4 pin/8 pin converter on newegg anyways. Its only $3.50.

it should be fine, it is for EPS12v which provides extra stability, but isn't necessary.

it only really needs it on really high draw CPUs, such as quads etc. you should be fine with your CPU.

ok lemme begin by saying that this thread is totally noobed-out by people who cant use google
Heres the manual. (67 pages, not 1)
Under 6.1.2 of the EPS 12V design guide, it mentions that there are two rails for the 8 pin processor slot.
This means if you want to guarantee that the processor wont die from lose of power, you plug the 8 pin or 2-4pins in the slot.

So? eVGA still gets an F in the manual department. Print a **** manual and put it in the box. Also, no floppy for RAID. Thats what I am working on now. Yes Peter, I got the RAID drivers from the website. Here is the new problem:

Floppy drive won't work. I am about to go jack one out of another computer(just to make sure newegg didn't ship bad floppy), but this one is brand new, the light comes on so I think it works. I get this error message when I boot up, "Floppy disk(s) fail (40)".

I don't have the cables backwards, they are fine. Any ideas?

eVGA is being noob, not me.

eVGA doesnt get an F...they are saving paper by powering big machines/servers that get power from nuclear energy and hogging the internet's bandwidth, thats all...
bios settings?
and please not let this be true...

"I don't have the cables backwards, they are fine. Any ideas?"

I guess you didn't read that. No, that is not the problem.

Floppy doesn't work I guess. I got one out of an old Compaq and I don't get the error message anymore. HOWEVER, when installing windows it acts like I don't have the driver disk in the floppy. It just keeps asking me to insert the manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom