LCD Refresh Rate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Beret

Baseband Member
hey guys, I was wondering what happens if an LCD monitor uses only 60Hz refresh rate...how is it going to affect my gaming? Is it going to affect it at all??...thanks.:confused:

Nope, not enough to notice. In time it will take it's toll on your eyes though.

[ begin edit ]

I got a PM from Red Beret asking about why a monitor set at 60Hz will 'take it's toll on your eyes' and figured I would share with everybody incase anyone has the same question.

A refresh rate of 60 Hz (in which the screen is redrawn 60 times per second) will almost always look flickery--especially under fluorescent lights, which refresh at about the same rate. This causes eye fatigue because your eyes are almost always having to re-adjust to the screen. Refresh rates of 70 Hz and higher are recommended.

If you are a victim of a monitor that will not go any higher than 60Hz, I highly recommend taking many breaks from the screen and keeping some visine or other eye drops handy.

[ end edit ]

You wouldn't be able to by just staring at it. But then again, your not going to see much fatigue if just doing basic stuff on your PC either, now if you live, breath, and work at your PC, over time, you will.

Ok heres an example, you're playing a game and you notice you have 100 constant FPS(which would be good for that game). But your monitor refresh rate is only 60, so your monitor only shows 60fps.

I also heard LCD's suck for gaming. Somebody wanna tell me why?

I have a 27ms refresh-rate LCD, which does "s_ck" for gaming. Thats why I bought a NEC CRT 19" monitor for my gaming system I'm building. When you get down towards 15ms, though, LCDs aren't that bad.

Ok, what I think of ghosting Is someone who dies and telling his teammates on ventrillo where the enemy is. How do you "experience" ghosting.. and wtf does an LCD monitor have to do with it?

Ghosting occurs when the LCD can't refresh fast enough to keep up with the image. Since LCDs have slower refresh rate, they are prone to this. When the image is moving too fast for the LCD to keep up, it will appear to blur during fast motion.

Refresh Rate...

I have an LCD though...it's an LG Flatron 'L1720B'...can anyone tell me what would be the max refresh rate, and is this monitor good fr gaming at all? Cause I don't see much of a difference...and it's set to 60Hz...thanks.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom