upgrade suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
Since i'm going to wait for the c2quad to go down in price. I was just thinking of upgrading my old pc cheaply which is like 5 years old. Its still running the amd 64 3000+ on a k8v deluxe mobo and like 1gb of kingston ddr ram and a ati radeon 9700 pro... i know very old parts huh?

well I was planning on first going with this kind of build.

the amd 64 x2 3600+
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - OEM

mobo: no idea .. suggestions plz

ram: can u guys recommend a good 1gb one? like a g.skillz i suppose heh. good one but cheap also.

and maybe a cheap video card too.. not really looking to go indepth in gaming with this rig. something cheap also.

and the case i was thinking of going with the coolermaster centurion one.

pretty much i guess a budget of like 300 ? maybe haha don't know prices... maybe go a little higher? but not looking to spend much. just enough to keep me going with better performance stuff until july 22nd. Thanks guys

oh yea.. and one thing i found out about my old comp... is that I went to check bios.. and it had a temp reading for my mobo and cpu.... my mobo was at like 35 C... but hey guess what my CPU was reading?!?!?!?! lol when I saw it I was extremely shocked.!

My CPU was running at 98 C... !!! I was like omg.. maybe thats what the problem is with my computer and why it keeps shutting down!!! lol... oh man...

Yea that is the best way to go if you are going cheap. What you want to do is taht 3600 and a biostar 550. 2gigs of g. skill NR (the red ones) and like a 7600gt. and yes the centurion is popular around here. That would be 350 after rebates

hey if u want to upgarde cheap then

mobo: ds3 or p5n even abit

ram: gskill 2*1gb nq's

vga: 7600gt

cpu: yeah the brisbane is ok

case: that case is pretty good

thanks kobe..

but the mobos u suggested aren't compatible with the brisbane... :( since u gave me intel mobos. umm.. i'm going amd just cuz its cheap for performance -.- haha don't want to spend too much of my budge that i can't buy what i really want later on.

also u suggested the 7600gt? seems reasonable price... which version on new egg tho? they're all about same price

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Newegg.com - eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

or unless theres a cheaper video card lol... doesn't really have to be too great.

thanks tho kobe

Oh yea and also.. should i even bother keeping my old hardware? ... the amd 64 3200+ 2.0ghz.... radeon 9700pro.... k8v deluxe mobo? like keep it and just make some junky pc for my parents or something? lol

Thats a good budget video card, to hold you until you go quad on July 22nd.

For your AMD build, I would suggest:
X2 3600+ Brisbane
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

All that, including the 7600GT comes to about $353.

Do you need a power supply, hard drive, etc...?

Naw, I'm good on the psu.. i have a antec 450w one from like 3 years ago i think it should last me a little longer and hdd and optical drives just taking from my old comp and they're still in good condition.

thanks bigpal...

although what is the difference between the ram u gave and the one kobe gave? lol any real difference or should i just toss a coin in the air?

and also do u guys think its necessary for me to buy an aftermarket cooler for the cpu? or should the case be sufficient enough cooling?

The difference between the two rams, is that one is NR and one is NQ. I don't know which is better, but the ratings for the NR, I suggested looks really good. I suggested this, because it's half the price, as the one kobe suggested, to keep in the budget. And you said, you only needed 1gb. It's cheap and just as good. You would only need an aftermarket cooler, if you are going to be overclocking. If you are, then I would suggest, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro:
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

cheaper over at svc.com:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler for LGA775

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom