Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatboyz

Solid State Member
Hi everyone out there and thanks for looking. This fall I am planing on building a computer but I am new to computer building and need some help. I want a gaming computer and work computer too. I want it to be really nice computer, not really worrying about my buget. I just want something really nice.

Like I said am a newb and you have probably seen many posts like this before but I really want to build one so I could cut down the cost and have a nice computer when I am done. What I want to know is what kind of set-up do guys think that would be cool and work good? Can you give the names and links if possable? I am newb so please explain it good. I know a little bit but not even close to most of you on here. Also what is Overclocking??

Thanks ALOT

I am going to see how much I can help, any of you other guyz can help out at anytime.

Basically you want to get a system that is specified to your needs, like what kinda games do you plan on running, because if you wanna just play something like solitaire you dont need very much power, like one of those 1986 VIA numeric processors should work fine, but if you wanna play game that are more graphically demanding like Quake III Arena then you would need a much more powerful system. For example: Min Specs:pentium 233mhz an 8MB graphics card and 64MB of RAM. Seeing as thought Quake III Arena is a 4 yr. old game those are relatively low standards, but if you would like to play that game on a much higher level then I would suggest something over 800mhz processor wise, over 128MB's of RAM and atleast a 64MB graphics card.

But I would personally recommend a system that looks similar to this:

Monitor: 17" +
Optical Mouse
Standard Speakers
Standard Keyboard
16x DVD-ROM (possibly even a DVD+-R/RW drive)
52x24x52 CD-RW drive
AMD Athlon 2800+
ATI Radeon 9600 and above with 128MB DDR
Atleast 256MB of DDR RAM PC133-PC5000 (depending on the motherboard capibilities)
Any compatible AMD Athlon (Socket A) ATX format Motherboard
Any case with atleast 2 drive bays and 1 floppy drive bay ATX format compatible
And I highly recommend a Power Supply with atleast 400Watts

Overclocking is when you the standard performance of a processor, and you set it far above that standard to do taskes much faster than before i.e. taking a processor that runs at 1.06ghz and then making it run at 2.04 ghz by increasing the power supplied to it. BE WARNED!!! IF YOU DO THIS YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, BECAUSE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR PROCESSOR AND POSSIBLY EVEN THE MOTHERBOARD!!!

I'm not sure how well I did on the explaining part, but if you want me to clarify I will be more than happy to.

I want good gaming computer. The newer 1st person shooting games. I want a fast processor for these games. I know with that I will need alot of Ram. DVD+R/RW drive, CD-RW drive (don't know what is good). From what I have read the ATI is the better video card. What kind of cases are big enough and good? With something like that what kind of cooling do I need and how much of it? Also I was looking at some cases and what is the difference bettween a sever case and a mid-tower, i am guesing more room but could I use a sever case.

Right now am just trying to get some ideas of what is good and what works better.

Thanks alot!

alright, i was putting together an entire system for you, and i was almost done, but then my computer crashed. i'm on my backup system, you see. i don't have the time to compile it again, but the best advice i can give you is to learn about computers yourself, spend a few weeks learning. read forums and reviews. do NOT buy a system without knowing what you are doing, or on specs alone. find out what the best companies to buy from are. i made the mistake of thinking i knew what i was doing, and now i'm stuck with a geforcefx 5200 vid card, a piece of shit motherboard, and a broken power supply (new one will come by wednesday). don't skimp out on the power supply, get a motherboard with an intel 875p, get 2 hard drives in a raid0 array, and get a 3-3.4 ghz intel p4 processor.

Sorry to hear about your computer. I wasn't planing on buying anything till this fall. I want to get ideas and learn. I have a friend that knows alot, so he can help me out. I was going to get at least 2 hard drives(don't know what kind and size). What kind of power supply do I need, something over 400W. Is this case any good? Or is that over kill?

Thanks alot and any more set-ups and ideas welcome!

Yeah that is a pretty decent case, trust me if you want to have a gaming system, then AMD is for you. This is only a logical suggestion, but you might want a smaller HD(i.e. 40-80GB) for your operating system and some program files, and then you would want a larger HD(i.e. 80-300GB) for your games, movies, or whatever you intend on having. And I am gonna have to agree with knuckle50, you should look around the net and on these forums so you can learn what you need to know and make the right decisions when the time comes

sorry lazy, but i have to disagree with you. a pentium 4 has much better performance than an amd at a comparable price. the biggest plus is that the pentiums dont run that hot, so you can overclock a ton. also, i read that new amds cannot be overclocked. in performance they are better by a hiar at stock speeds, but overclocked they own you.

well from all that I understand the core on Pentiums are locked so that makes OCing a mother, and just about eveyone on this forums knows that you use AMD for gaming systems

And besides I still have yet to see a pentium out perform my old @$$ AMD Duron 900mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom