Seeking advice on handheld

Status
Not open for further replies.

spc255

Beta member
Hello out there...would like to purchase a handheld device to serve as a web browser, pretty much exclusively. So many products out there...anybody with some advice?

I have a Dell Axim X50v, it's a really nice PDA. Although Dell no longer manufactures PDA's, I'm sure you could either get a similar HP model (iPaq) or get an Axim off eBay. The X50v has a bright, full color 640x480 screen and built in WiFi and Bluetooth. It has an XScale 624MHz (ARM based) chip with 64MB RAM, 128MB Flash, and SD and CF slots. It runs Windows Mobile 2003, the X51v (newer) uses Windows Mobile 5. The Pocket IE runs OK, but you don't get video >.<, but google works, and web pages render well. You can also get the Opera browser for it. Because it has the 640x480 screen, there are some screen expanders that tweak the OS to allow for full resolution display of programs. The graphics chip is the Intel 2700G, a 100MHz, 16MB integrated handheld chipset that allows video playback at good speed. I use mine as an mp3 player mainly.

Like I said, PDA's make good pocket browsers, with many features. The Axim line has been officially discontinued (or so I heard on a PDA Linux website), but the HP iPaq's are similar devices using the same OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom