Install corsair memory with metal case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I've installed memory before, and they were all thin green strips with lots of circuits.

Now I bought this corsair memory. It came inclosed in a metal case. I assumed the case was just packaging, but it didn't fall apart when I unpackaged it as expected.

Am I supposed to install this memory with the metal case? I've tried taking the case apart and light efforts do not prevail. I do not want to force it. But that metal case would seem awfully hot. Should I just take the screwdriver to it and rip it apart?

Here is a link to the product website:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail

Here are some id numbers:
XMS2-6400
CM2X1024-6400RRO

Also why is this memory so expensive?

lol!!...don't take off those metal cases. They're called heatspreaders by the way. And the reason they're on there, is to keep the ram cool. That's why the metal is hot.

It's expensive, because it has LED indicators, to show it's activity, which isn't necessary. OMG....I just noticed you could of gotten these, instead:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail...best ram out there, for the money...ever!..

Next time, you try to buy something expensive, you should consult us...lol....to get the best out of your money.

I'll just stick it in then. I've never seen memory incased in metal before, though.

Also I got one stick. The computer can run fine with one stick, right? I'm putting it in the 1# socket. Do I have to buy the same model if I want to get another stick? Or just the same specs, I don't want to cough up all that cash again.

Most RAM, come with heatspreaders now.

The computer will run fine with one stick. If you want to get another stick, just get one, with the same specs. If I were you though, and if it's possible, I would send it back, and get the one, I showed you. It really is one of the best sets of memory, for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom