Automated/Self-Service Password Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
I work for a K-12 school district, and we are looking for a way to manage our student accounts.

I've been looking around for an automated process/program that will allow us to reset student passwords in one fell swoop—or at least, prevent us from resetting each account one by one.

Bonus points for added functionality by being able to reset passwords on demand, rather than having to call us (the IT Dept) to reset a password.

I've downloaded a couple of programs (ANIXIS PasswordReset), but they don't have 100% of the desired functionality.

I'm also looking around the MMC to see if I can find anything, but so far, no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I'm perusing the Password Reset Tools Sticky Thread to see if there's anything I can use.

Do you all use AD?

What do you mean by one fell swoop?

What do you have to reset one by one?

Are you wanting to change a group of users passwords at the same time?

Do you all use AD?
Yes. WinServer2k3 AD.

What do you mean by one fell swoop?
You answered this by asking the fourth question. :)

What do you have to reset one by one?
We don't want to click each user, and reset his/her password.

Are you wanting to change a group of users passwords at the same time?
Yes.

Short and simple: Our district is nearing the end of it's calendar year.

Long and explained: Seeing as we have 800 users at the High School with each their own individual password (the story behind this decision is another beast entirely), we would like to reset them to the default password that we had at the beginning of the school year, so when the students return for the next semester, they won't have to short-circuit their brains trying to remember a password they hadn't used in months.

That definitely looks like something I can use, but it's not what I'm looking for, given my current situation. I'll start looking through the Scripting Guy's page to see if I can find anything.

But specifically, you're one step ahead in trying to find a solution to my problem.

I need to first set a password for all units/users in an OU.

Then I could use the link you provided me to require them to change the password once they login for the first time.

Thanks for the help, Warez.

Here is this but its not free

Complete Password Management with Password Manager from Quest Software

Complete Control Over Password Management

Password Manager

Quest Password Manager allows end users to reset forgotten passwords securely, allowing administrators to implement stronger password policies while reducing the help desk workload.

The pain of password management - the single most common support issue - is becoming more pervasive. Requiring more complex passwords that must be changed more frequently increases the likelihood that users will forget them. As a result, many organizations face the challenge of increasing security while reducing support costs.

Password Manager provides a simple, secure solution that allows end users to reset forgotten passwords and unlock their user accounts themselves. Password Manager accommodates the widest possible range of organization requirements and data security standards.

Password Manager supports Windows 2000/2003 Active Directory environments and connected systems. Organizations no longer have to sacrifice security to reduce costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom