Non-HT Pentium 4 processor on an HT-enabled motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
Is Intel 865GV motherboard that supports Pentium 4 HT also compatible with a non-HT Pentium 4 processor? What will happen if a non-HT Pentium 4 processor is installed on it?

yeah I see no reason why it wouldnt work. it just wont allow you to turn on HT since the processor doesnt support it. the bios will read the processor id on bootup and know that it doesnt have HT .

should do just fine. that is why you can have motherboards that support athlon 64 single core as well as dual core

just make sure that the board and processor use the same socket and you will be fine.

I tried running the mobo with the non-ht cpu and a compatible ram stick but the mobo doesn't boot. The mobo led lights but the power led doesn't and the hdd led continuously lights. IDE drives are not also accessed. Is the problem a symptom of incompatibility or just a faulty mobo?

I just bought a new mobo and it may be defective. I just feel so unlucky with mobos lately.

The mobo manufacturer's website says that the mobo model supports my cpu. Probably the mobo is simply faulty so I'll just ask for a warranty replacement.

What's the core of the Pentium 4? (Willamette, Northwood, Prescott)
and what's the chipset on the motherboard?
This might be a stupid question, but are they both socket 478?

The CPU is Intel Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.26 GHz (512K,533MHz,Socket 478) and the chipset is Intel 865GV-M3 & ICH5.

This is the list of supported CPUs: ECS Web Site

that is odd, it should work. only thing I can suggest besides getting a replacement is to try flashing the bios maybe with the latest version.

are all the power leads hooked up to the motherboard, is there a plug for the p4 power lead?

besides a power lead not being hooked up to the motherboard that it needs for the cpu, I would say that it is probably faulty. :(

has happened to me before with an Asus board. board kept detecting problems with a cpu that was fine.

Only the hd led lights up whenever the hd is hooked. What's odd is that it lights continuously. The mobo doesn't even beep. The reset button doesn't also work.

I still need to wait 'til Tuesday for the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom