Gigabyte m55SLI-S4 and Athlon X2 (displays garbage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
Hi

I just built an Athlon X2

Anthlon X2 Processor
Gigabyte m55SLI-S4
GEIL 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
GeForce 7300GT Sonic
160GB Hitachi Digital RAM
450w PSU

The thing works fine but on random reboots, i get garbaged display on boot up screen (pre-windows)..

Normally i'd think this is a video card problem..

but here's the ANNOYING PART.. i've tried everything (im glad i have access to parts) and I cant seem to narrow down on the problem

I tried to test each component on another rig..
RAMs, Video Card, Hard Drive, Processor, Motherboard, etc.. no problems! put them all back together, and i get the garbaged display randomly..

I tried replacing RMA'ng the motherboard...
i tried replacing RMA'ng the Processor...
i tried reboots without the hard drive...

i still get garbage display randomly..

i tried a lot.. but to summarize..

i tried replacing the X2 processor with a regular Athlon AM2 3200 processor.. no more problems..

I tried replacing the motherboard with an ECS brand and testing it with the X2 processor, no more problems..

put the 2 (mobo+proc) together again.. garbage display problems

I dont get it.. why wont it work right with the HIGH END gigabyte motherboard and X2 processor?? Are they not compatible?

please help evaluate.

have you checked gigabytes site to see if there are any bios updates that focus around this issue?

Hi Guys

I've solved the problem but have resulted to a not-so-welcomed work around..

the X2 5000 processor runs at 200mhz with x13 multiplier by default..

i downclocked it step by step and ended up running it at x10 and it has stabilized....

what could've cost this?

make sure ur voltage is set to auto. maybe its not stable because u need to up voltage, other than that im not sure.

you might have bad cooling in ur case which might be a reason ur cpu needed down clockin. what temps u got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom