Old Power supply Guide (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Updated Power supply guide

Anyone who is looking for a cheap but yet highly stable PSU to run a fairly watt hungry system here is one for you.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, UL, TUV, FCC - Retail

Regardless what you may have heard not ALL Rosewill's are bad. Rosewill most companies don't make their own units but rather have an OEM from a different company. The difference with them is they have many different companies making their PSU's so you can't tell unless you do a bit of research. For instance most of their units are made by untrusted companies. However these models right here are all made by a trusted OEM and have been tested by Jonnyguru on his site and are said to be very very stable, espeically for the price.

Don't always knock Rosewill PSU's!

All of these have been tested by a respected person on power supplies and are a good to go.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP500-2-S ATX12V v2.01 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, TUV, FCC, UL - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182016
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2-S ATX12V v2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, UL, TUV, FCC - Retail
Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 ATX 2.01 550W Power Supply 115/230 V CSA, CB, TUV, FCC, UL - Retail

I just picked up one of these Ultra X series 700w power supplies:

FRYS.com | Ultra

49.99 after rebate.

I've always had really good luck the Ultra series - they're quiet and decently cool. I've read the testing regarding voltage spikes etc - dont perform as well as other brands but they still work really well.

The X-Connect is not recommended by enthusiasts at all. The new Ultra's such as my X-Finity are actually pretty good however the X-Connect were known to have problems.

The X-Connect is not recommended by enthusiasts at all. The new Ultra's such as my X-Finity are actually pretty good however the X-Connect were known to have problems.

I've had luck with the V-series.

They now have a lifetime warranty. What was wrong with the X-connect ones?

They were known to go boom and die a lot....they were changed and now the new generation X3 series is good but the old "X-Connect" from 3-4 years ago are a no no...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom