getting sub for home hi-fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
gotta have more specs than that!! Wattage and size tells me nothing.

You should post in the multimedia section. I'll be more than happy to help as well as I'm sure EricB will help you out as well. Hes an expert speaker tech and I'm a sound engineer.

If you dont treasure quality and just want that oomph. Then you can do alot better. My Z5500 Sub packs out 188 Watts of Power, and came ina set with 7 other speakers at £179's, Packs one **** of a punch lol. But the sound??, not all that good compared the my dads' AE Sub, 150 Watts, Less power, But id have his anyday.

wattage is nothing. KMAN - your 5500's are for COMPUTERS. That packing 188w is @ 8ohms which is HIGH. It also has 10% THD which is not great at all... lots of distortion. They may be good, but are not THAT good.

I have a 200w amplifier that will make your ears bleed (literally) at half volume. It is all about efficiency and response. Wattage is only what is powering the speaker. True, higher wattage is louder, but thats only if the speaker benefits from it and can be efficient with it.

I feel like a vinyl record that skips.

wattage is nothing. KMAN - your 5500's are for COMPUTERS. That packing 188w is @ 8ohms which is HIGH. It also has 10% THD which is not great at all... lots of distortion. They may be good, but are not THAT good.

I have a 200w amplifier that will make your ears bleed (literally) at half volume. It is all about efficiency and response. Wattage is only what is powering the speaker. True, higher wattage is louder, but thats only if the speaker benefits from it and can be efficient with it.

Crysalis - I know they distort... really really badly. What i was saying is that you could spend alot les smoney and get a much more powerfull sub if thats what you want, because as a general rule more Watts is louder as you know, but there only as good as the amp driving them ( O yes ! A Logitech control box ;) :D )

Yeh i think i can understand about that 200W Amp thing... we have a 100W Rotel amp, for pure stereo music. That thing is REALLY Loud, and thats half the power of yours...and this thing is YEARS Old, and sounds way better than the Denon amp thats 3x as expensive than it , because the denon is doing full dolby digital lol.as you know, sucks for proper music listening :p.

I know i know i know, i was just saying you could get a lot more power for less money if he wanted to.

And your right...

My Z5500's Sub's distortion brings a new meaning to the word ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom