USB Ports don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told you there were "bugs" causing problems! :p But you may have to update the bios if that managed to get corrupted if it isn't being seen as a result of being in a "dust bowl"? What's the worst element found on system? Dust buildup! Hope you have a can of air cleaner for blasting out any "dust" buildup in the usb ports. Micro fine dust and other debris?

What version of Windows are you running, and do you have any service packs installed. If you are using XP, try installing SP2 if it's not installed already.

Also, it couldn't hurt to see if this is a hardware issue by simply booting to a cd-based linux distro and seeing if your USB ports work there.

I'm not sure, but the windows version I have is one that a friend gave me that is ONLY they bare essentials (hacked). Its XP Pro and includes SP2.

I'm using my ps/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse right now its ONLY usb 2.0 that does not work. I checked my hardware performance and I believe I got everything to say its working. When I plug in a usb 2 keyboard nothing happens. When I plug in a usb 2 mouse, the laser light turns on but nothing happens. My computer right now is fully functional except for the usb ports!

I'm not sure what you mean by installing Linux to see if its a hardware problem. I know nothing about Linux. But your suggestion is appreciated.

Heres something else that might help you guys help me. The USB ports connected to my MOBO do not work...ALSO, the USB ports on top of my tower do not work. So does that still make it a driver issue?

As for Iraq...as you can tell by how long I was there (4 months) I am in the USAF. Yes we have it easier than all the other branches.

To the guy who got hit by and IED: I'm glad your alive bro!

I'm glad to see you both intect there! I'm just wondering about the other item of debris clinging while also considering a board problem? If you have the board's manual or know the make and model the online manual should be looked over for seeing all usb functions enabled. If a usb plug goes in most of the way but hits any small dirt particles the center may not be making proper contact? But to effect all ports doesn't look good unless disabled in the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom