something dosent add up here

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
If i understand correctly the smaller the wafer you make for an IC the less power it requires and the less heat it gives off. so why do the chips we have now require bigger power supplies and ever more elaborate cooling solutions? I know that the increased clock speed factors in but do we really need 500 watt psus and water cooling for todays high end rigs? or have the engineers gotten lazy on us?

Sound's like they are just getting sloppy and are designing PC components that require far to much power that just seems illogical especially today when we are told to use less power. I am not to educated on this subject so I can't comment further on it.

ya buy the Pentium 4 Prescott CPU + Room Warmer for 60$ lol!! but ur right it makes no sense.... i guess every1 is lying to us :(

but c'mon even the AMD single core chips like in my last build would heat my room up. what is wrong with this? shouldn't a chip manufactured at the 65nm process give off less heat and require less power then one on a 130nm process? i mean the transistors are far smaller and take much less power to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom