Like to start a little local job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know about Repair fraud. I have quite a few clients myself who were victim of it. What i am saying is that you charge to install free software. People dont need to know how to set it up. Just click the recommended settings. Do you also setup the Comodo firewall to allow all apps access to the net that they use? Or do they have to figure that out on their own? That is my point. They have to learn to use the software they are gonna be using.

When i talk to a client i tell them the advantages and disadvantages to all software they want me to isntall. Wheter it be McAfee, Norton or ones that i suggest. Because as a PC repair tech that is what you should do. Give them answers based off your experience. That is why they called you.

If they take my suggestion for the free software i dont charge them for the install. I charge them for labor. I make sure that they know and understand this fact up front before i begin work. That way they dont ask me why i charged them for something they can do. Sometimes i dont even have to isntall it. I jsut give them the site or the names of the applications and they google them and download and isntall them themselves.

The only time i charge more is for either PC full repair, which i constitue as Format & install or adding new hardware. Other than that i mainly charge for labor. Depending on the job is how much i charge. If i can fix a virus infected PC with minimal effort i only charge $10 extra. If it is more in depth i charge more. Every job is different.

I am not all puffed. I am not trying to make you think that i am bashing you for your practices. I am just pointing out my point of view on the subject. The major factor is trust. Working in a retail store i cant tell you how many people i talk to daily that i give advice to. 99% of the time i talk them out of purchasing a $50+ applicaiton when a free one is much better. I lose sales but i gain trust. From then on i get calls and emails with more questions, not only from them but from their friends and family with questions. With the trust there i have built a decent sized client base on just word of mouth for a part time activity i do.

So by all means do what you do. I applaud all of us that do these things for people. As we have a bit more knowledge than average users we should help out where we can. I am just trying to give you advice on some other tactics to try. AVG is good. But from my experience and personal tests that i have run, i have found Avast! to be a better AV. Comodo it great. It is built from the Zone Alarm firewall which is one of hte best free firewalls out there. But giving your clients more of a choice will help you out in the long run as they will trust you more for asking their input on the decisions of their PC. If you make all the decisions for them they will always feel that they dont know what is right. Giving them the option allows them to feel as they helped fix thier problems and from there can take steps toward preventing further problems.

It's all good bro. I understand what you say and I stand by my practices. I seriously do not rip off any of my clients.
When it comes to installing free software, I don't just install and walk away. I do try to teach them how to use this software.

The biggest and I mean biggest difference between your clients and mine is that mine(75% of them) are spanish speaking and lack english skills. It's hard for them to understand Windows let alone more software that requires reading english. So asking them to pick from a list of free programs...well, they look at me and say you choose and the ones that I choose are sufficient for their needs. Again, I do try to explain and teach them how to use the programs.

By no means do I try to rip off anybody.
The bottom line is my work continues to get me more clients. I must be doing something right.

Lets not start a flame thread! =0 but thanks all for the tips ill look into them

It isnt a flame war. IT is just constructive critism. :p

But seriously you need to make sure you give your clients a choice. In the end they will appreciate it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom