What do I loock for in a Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajete

In Runtime
Just wanted to know what I'm have to look for in a video card to know if its good or not. Not just memory... 256mb, or 512mb... Becaouse I've seen card that are 256mb 300-400 bucks more expensive then a 512... I know PCI-E is the fastest port for VGA.. But I want know know more in detail, what other things to look for that will make my card run nice. I want to avoid buying a 512mb that doesnt run as good as a 256mb... You dig what Im saying? Sorry I'm confusing.

Just wanted to know what I'm have to look for in a video card to know if its good or not. Not just memory... 256mb, or 512mb... Becaouse I've seen card that are 256mb 300-400 bucks more expensive then a 512... I know PCI-E is the fastest port for VGA.. But I want know know more in detail, what other things to look for that will make my card run nice. I want to avoid buying a 512mb that doesnt run as good as a 256mb... You dig what Im saying? Sorry I'm confusing.

Look at the cards specs. You generally want to look at the number of pipelines, gpu and memory clock speed, memory and gpu interface, and directx support. The higher, the better. Generally, you can get a good guess as to how well a card will performs by the number of pipelines alone. I guarantee you that any card with 16 or more pipelines will perform very nicely. Beware of marketing ploys like the suffixes they apply to models. They mean nothing (for instance, SE, short for special edition, sounds really fancy and fast, but it's not. It should be Sucky Edition).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom