difference between e6600 and e6320

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddanth3

In Runtime
hey guys. i am just curious about the difference between e6600 and e6320. initially with factory settings, the ghz may be different, but what if both are overclocked to the same speed, for instance 3ghz. which one would perform better and what would be the difference. would there be a difference at all?
coz they both have 4m cache now, and i cant tell the difference.

so if u experts could clarify this situation, that would be awesome.

thanks

There wouldn't really be a difference, if both were clocked to 3.0GHz. Actually since the multiplier on the e6320 is at 7(428x7=3000MHz), the FSB would be at 428MHz. With the e6600's multiplier at 9(333x9=3000MHz, the FSB would run at 333MHz. So the e6320, would be better, because the FSB is higher.

so ur sayin, if they are overclocked to the same speed, there wouldnt be any difference in performance??
oh i think i understand, but could u explain it in a simpler way. i am still a newb.

They are the same if you overclocked them. Technically the E6320 would be faster. Since you are a noob, in short the answer to your question is.
THEY WOULD BE EXACTLY THE SAME

OK, to get the e6320 to 3.0GHz, you would have to set the FSB to 428MHz. Since it's multiplier is 7, you multiply the FSB and the multiplier to get the speed of the e6320. Like this:

428MHz x 7 = 3.0GHz

With the e6600, you would have to set the FSB to 333MHz, in order to have the e6600 run at 3.0GHz. And it's multiplier is 9, so:

333MHz x 9 = 3.0GHz

Technically as j12 said, the e6320 is faster, due to the higher FSB speed. But theres no big difference between the two processors, at that speed.

oh, now i see ur point. thanks a lot. one more question. i was thinking of building a system in august after the price drop of the quad cores. so how much difference is there between the cheapest quad core and the e6600. is there a lot of difference?. coz if in july the quads are cheaper, then the c2d would be a lot cheaper wouldnt it?
what would make sence, building a cheapest quad core rig or a cheapest c2d build?
thanks

well depends on ur point of view... from an entusiast's point of view the e6320 is better(high FSB and low multiplier) but from a regular person is the same thing

The E6320 wouldn't necessarily be faster since with a higher FSB, you might have to use the next northbridge strap (depending on your mobo), reducing performance.

But.. you shouldn't worry about that :). If you're only going to 3ghz, the E6320 is the best choice. If you want a more then moderate overclock (maybe 3.4+), an E6600 might be better

well, i am not limiting my self to only 3ghz. i want the highest possible overclock which is stable for my system.. it may be higher then a 3ghz or even may be lower. i dont kno yet. i was just wondering which would overclock to the highest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom