New AMD/ATI card kicks butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you trying to say a card that costs like 170 dollars(gtx) more than another(hd 2900xt) is better than it? NO KIDDING! And even then, it still depends on the game... and the fact that ATI drivers are still junk :\

Wow this has been a great thread to read. Lots of links and info. I have to admit that after I splurged on my new build over the holidays I was kind of kicking myself for not waiting to see how the R600 would pan out. According to everything I read it was going to have 1gig of memory, the memory was going to be ddr4, it would be 9 feet long. I honestly thought my 8800's would be owned and I would wish I would have waited. But it seems like AMD/ATI has conceeded the high end 'enthusiast' spot to nvidia. At first I thought that was a mistake because they have always gone back and forth, but if you think about it in financial terms, it was a good move (and I own AMD stock so i'm happy :) ). There are not a lot of enthusiasts/compulsive bench markers out there and these super high end cards are basically just for bragging rights. The money is in the middle of the road top performers. Though it doesn't seem to be doing awesome right now, it is comparable to the 8800gts and will improve as more drivers are developed. Eventually the 2900xt will probably be in 50% of new builds for gamers.

All in all I am relieved that my system still pwns but I'm sad to see the top end rivalry between the two companies slowly go away. It has always been fun watching both companies for the next 'fastest' card. Who knows, maybe AMD will shock us soon with monster card.

No, but I didn't expect it to. AMD stock is way down from where it used to be so I see it as a good value right now. Once they put out a couple of home runs it should go back up to where it was. And with their new quad core comming out soon that they claim will beat penryn, that might be the time. But as for the graphics card, in 6 months when some report comes out that AMD's graphics division has captured 50% of the gaming user base with its R600 chip, that will be a good day for the stock.

i wouldn't say they have conceded the top of the top line, they just aren't crazy. A few years ago $400 was outrageous for a video card, now we are thinking $600 or more. I think amd/ati did the right thing here by pulling the prices down. yeah it has some short comings but its a good performer and i think that as more people use it for its lower price tag it will force nvidia back down from the clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom