multi boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRJ33445566

Beta member
i'm going through some testing of multi booting with my PC. Right now i'm only working on VMWare workstation 6 to test.

I was able to install 4 OS with almost no problem. I set up 3 virtual HDDs with a few partitions. I have XP Pro on C: (disk1, part1), Vista on E: (disk 1, part2), Win2003server (disk2, part1) and OSX 10.4.6 X86 (disk 3, part1).

They show up in this order when I boot.

The problem is, when I click on XP it boots 2003 instead. when i click on 2003 it boots to nothing. Vista and OSX boots ok.

The configuration in EasyBDC 1.6 running in Vista is fine. The boot.ini in C: only shows xp and 2003. When I run 2003, all the drive letters are different, but no big deal for me. Acronis OS selector can only detect 2003 and an unknown OS.

I want to install Linux on a 5th partition next, but I would rather fix that problem first.

Any help be appreciated.

What do you use to select your operating system?

I had the same problem once upon a time, until I downloaded GRUB...which seems to have fixed it.

GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

thanks, I was just trying this. But I think i messed up something. I decided to install Linux which has grub on it and at the end only had 2 options for booting: linux and windows (which didnt boot). I'm still very new to linux, so I don't know what I did wrong in Installation. It should have given me 5 options. I'm now trying freebsd, but can't seem to be able to boot with it.

So right now i'm trying to find on the internet how to edit my boot in command mode. Not much luck there.

In Linux, do this in terminal:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then you'll see a list of OS'es, add to that list by following the pattern in the file. The "hd(0,1)" means hd(<hard disk number>,<partition number>) of the OS to boot. Windows OS'es may need some extra flags, just read the file to see.

In Linux, do this in terminal:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then you'll see a list of OS'es, add to that list by following the pattern in the file. The "hd(0,1)" means hd(<hard disk number>,<partition number>) of the OS to boot. Windows OS'es may need some extra flags, just read the file to see.

When i type this command i get this message:

nrj is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

then I go back to [nrj @localhost ~]$

PS, ok was able to get it under root, but the file is blank, nothing in it. It's like the file never existed in the beginning.

5y1t4kj.jpg

4lsxe08.jpg

ok turbolinux uses grub.conf instead, not menu.lst. i was able to open it to edit it.

figures crossed

Edit: ok now i'm able to view the extra windows when i boot in grub. I got now Turbolinux, winxp, winvista and win2003 listed.

Now when I select xp it goes to dos/windows boot mode, giving me the original boot loader that I had before getting grub. (this bootloader still has the problem that xp loads into 2003 instead and 2003 does load anything. Vista and OSX boots ok. Now if i can make those menu transfer that to grub, it be nice.

back in grub, when i select vista i get a ntldr error, and 2003 doesnt boot. I haven't tryed to add OSX in the grub boot menu yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom