Memory problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peerob

Solid State Member
I have an MSI 865PE Neo2 FiS2R motherboard with 512mb RAM.

I have just put an additional 512MB as follows:

Channel A (DIMM) 1 x 512MB Kingston PC3200
Channel B (DIMM3) 1 x 512MB Crucial PC3200

i thought this would work with no problem as the sticks are identical in all but brand. Instead the PC never boots - not a solitary beep. Each stick works individually but used together with any combination of slots it just will not boot. Any ideas why this might be

Did you mix a single sided dimm with a dual sided? That would be a row of IC chips on only one side for a single sided while a dual sided has a row on both sides. The only other thing would be the memory timings like mixing a performance series dimm with a value tam. It's always best to make sure that "everything" is identical not just PC3200 number and DDR400.

also the memory sticks may be running at different timings. I have run into issues just like that where one brand would not be compatable with another

When mentioning that fact somewhere else no one believed that one. But some boards are limited to memory with slower timings too. If you iinstall a 2-2-2-5 dimm on a board that won't on memory faster then 4-4-4-15 pr some actual slower set of timings that will stall the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom