windows installation questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerves

Baseband Member
I am installing a new version of windows and I would like to know how to go about wiping my hard drive completely clean and then installing a fresh
version of windows. I have never attempted this sort of thing before.

With a XP CD when you boot you will be given the option to format the drive before you install. It is always advised you do a full format and not a quick.

Because my computer did not come with a disk, I have downloaded a 9 in 1 windows torrent that has my version on it. Will that disk still work? I don't need to format first and then install?

That disc will work. You said you wanted to do a completely clean install this should allow you to do it as well.

God I hope. This system is on the frits. If this disk doesn't work, hopefully the "other" one will. Can I guarantee a clean install by wiping the hard drive first? That is what I would like to do just to insure all the problems will be wiped out. IF I can how do I do it?

i have a question, my laptop died and i need to back up data on it, could i buy an external hard drive and load windows on it and boot my laptop to access the internal hard drive files? would the xp disc allow me to choose which drive to install windows on?

Buy Winternals...after you use it, send it to me...hah!

Just kidding.

If the install disk works...it'll ask you to format. Do NTFS (quick) style format...works best for me...make sure you delete all the partitions too.

Pretty easy to follow.

Because my computer did not come with a disk, I have downloaded a 9 in 1 windows torrent that has my version on it. Will that disk still work? I don't need to format first and then install?

if you have a cd key somewhere on your case then that proves that you own a license to windows and are entitled to a copy. call MS and they can ship you an install disc for a small charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom