upgrading 7950GT to 8800GTS(dont bother!) read why inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
I got a 8800GTS 640MB on friday had it installed for 2 days and i was getting roughly identical FPS in games(on max settings with both cards) and since i dont have vista and dont plan on getting it yet i thought i just wasted £250 for no improvement so i just took the card back and got a refund.
I will wait until i upgrade to vista by which time the 8800 cards should have dropped in price.
So in short if you have a 7950 or above and use winxp, dont bother upgrading!(unless your getting a GTX and vista)

Possible your CPU was bottlenecking becuase even in xp the 8800GTS 640 gets a lot more frames than a 7950GT...

I got a 8800GTS 640MB on friday had it installed for 2 days and i was getting roughly identical FPS in games(on max settings with both cards) and since i dont have vista and dont plan on getting it yet i thought i just wasted £250 for no improvement so i just took the card back and got a refund.
I will wait until i upgrade to vista by which time the 8800 cards should have dropped in price.
So in short if you have a 7950 or above and use winxp, dont bother upgrading!(unless your getting a GTX and vista)

What kind of frame rates were you getting ? With what games? What settings/resolutions?

3 possible issues and they were already mentioned:

1. resoltuion was too low
2. Were the settings on high?
3. CPU bottleneck....

Oh man thats exactly right. Were you topping out at an even number such as 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 FPS?

Vsync will limit even SLI 8800 Ultra's to your monitors refresh rate if it was on. There are many variables that could do but even in XP the 8800GTS 640 is quite a lot more powerful card.

yeah TBH I've never heard anyone being unhappy with their 8800GTS purchase.

The 7950GT is quite a good card...but the 8800GTS is many times better.

holy crap johhny you better get that card back.
and you may need a small overclock in order to not bottleneck on your cpu (like 300mhz easy easy no vcore increase or anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom