Do I really need a high-performance Sound Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.. Don't recommend stuff if you don't know what you're taking about.

Creatives aren't the end all be all of sound cards...... The only reason you would want an Creative is for gaming as they are the only ones right now that have EAX5.0 which is soon to change with Auzentech releasing one. If you don't game a lot or you don't mind losing some of the extra sound effects, there is no reason at all to get a Creative. So there lies the question, what will you be using it for?

If gaming isn't too important to you, the Auzentech X-Meridian is an AMAZING card. It'll kick any Creative cards butt at anything other then gaming. And it is a lot better then the M-Audio 5.1 (also note if you use Vista, there are NO drivers available at all for it) but it's still a good card. If you're not a huge audiophile, you shouldn't notice a huge difference. I'm not familiar with those two HT card and the E-mu one is good too but at that price range I would get the Auzentech.

Do you actually have a nice sound system to run it through?

if u just want that controller, buy a reg sound card and get one controller for the front... lemme newegg it....

I have a nice 1000-watt 5.1 Home Theater System in need of a sound card. I have to admit that I will use the sound for gaming but I can live with something with a little bit less quality than the highest. Of course I would like to watch movies on my computer too.

But yes my main connectors is the Coaxial SPDIF.

other than that I would like to know the difference between 109dnr and 120dnr. Is it that much of a difference?

Also is there such thing as a 192khz 5.1 Dolby setup ? I heard that its only 96khz if its 5.1 and it goes up to 192khz for the stereo.

What is your suggested soundcard for me to buy?

ive got vista and anything to do with sound is at least 3x clear/louder as good as onboard. with my x-530 speakers

Wow.. Don't recommend stuff if you don't know what you're taking about.

Creatives aren't the end all be all of sound cards...... The only reason you would want an Creative is for gaming as they are the only ones right now that have EAX5.0 which is soon to change with Auzentech releasing one. If you don't game a lot or you don't mind losing some of the extra sound effects, there is no reason at all to get a Creative. So there lies the question, what will you be using it for?

If gaming isn't too important to you, the Auzentech X-Meridian is an AMAZING card. It'll kick any Creative cards butt at anything other then gaming. And it is a lot better then the M-Audio 5.1 (also note if you use Vista, there are NO drivers available at all for it) but it's still a good card. If you're not a huge audiophile, you shouldn't notice a huge difference. I'm not familiar with those two HT card and the E-mu one is good too but at that price range I would get the Auzentech.

Do you actually have a nice sound system to run it through?

actually the auzentechs are more deticated for a htpc. y by a sound card that doesnt have eax 5.0 and ive heard from other forums etc wen i was thinking bout gttin a sound card that the software and gaming exp. isnt as good.

DTS is better than Dolby Digital, take a look st some sound blaster cards by creative

(2x) Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB ST3300007LC 10,000RPM SCSI 8MB Cache (Ultra 320-SC2 80 Pin).
Crucial 16GB (4x4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 Dual Channel Kit.
Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6800 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.93GHz
LiteOn LH-2B1S-490C 2x BD-R/RE Blu-Ray SATA DVD Writer
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme WaterCooled 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
Zalman HD160XT-B Home Theatre PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom