Radeon 9600 256MB...worth the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraider5

Baseband Member
well i just saw in the paper today that frys is selling this card for 90 bucks after rebates...the brand is Xtasy. I guess it's just a regular Radeon 9600 with more memory.

A few days ago, my card was crapping out (Geforce4 MX440 128MB) and it turns out the fan stopped working. I took the fan out and everything works fine now...I've played games with no problem. I guess the plastic fan was trapping heat inside. Anyways, given that, is it worth it to upgrade to this card for a mere 90 bucks?

Also, am I gonna see much difference between the 9600 with 256MB and its 128MB counterparts?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

i put it back in to test it out. it already has a heatsink on it and a fan was on top of that. i was seeing if it'd work and it does and if still hasnt given me any problems..

The Visiontek GeForce4 MX 440 only comes with a heatsink, for example, though it does heat up quite easily.

Going from an MX 440 to any 9600 card (except the SE) is a big jump, and very much the money's worth.

what about the differences i would see beween the 256 and 128 models? and this isnt a pro model either.

256 MB on a standard 9600 is nothing but a waste. Very little performance gain from it, if at all any. Only when games contain immense textures should there be a 128 MB difference (which isn't likely to happen for another couple years).

so what do you guys think, cuz any game i currently is fine with my card as it is. is the price worth the upgrade...since i plan on eventually upgrading it anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom