How does over clocking with DDR2 work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you will change the ratio by changing the speed of the ram. ie, if you change it from ddr 400 to ddr 333, it changes the ratio. there probbaly wont be a setting that is like "memory/fsb ratio".

you will change the ratio by changing the speed of the ram. ie, if you change it from ddr 400 to ddr 333, it changes the ratio. there probbaly wont be a setting that is like "memory/fsb ratio".

They have that setting on some boards.

The lowest I can go is 533.

either o/c ur cpu to 400fsb or downclock ur ram to 333fsb so 1:1

crazed pardon my numbers for some reason i was thinking you were running ddr ram, not ddr2.
amd's dont work like that, guys. and it is not crucial that it run on a 1:1 ratio in any event.
there aint no way you will make an amd cpu run at 400 fsb. if you can, i wanna see it so i can do it too. i highly doubt that it will do it no matter how low you drop the cpu multi. and then you start getting really screwy ram timings and stuff.
i have an excellent overclocking board and cpu, and i am REALLY pushing it at 340ish.
amds tend to not be so stable at speeds over 300. it takes work to get them that high. plus if you were running 400 fsb on a 4800, that would make your cpu clock 5.0ghz (12.5 x 400)...and that is not gonna happen.
crazed you need 240 fsb to get 3.0ghz (240 x 12.5). if you set your ram speed at ddr2 533, i think that will put you at like 428mhz on your ram:
12.5 x 240 = 3000 / 7 (i think) = 428 (ddr2 856). that gskill should handle that no problem, probably at stock timings and voltage.
i have a link to ddr2/amd ram timings, i will see if i can find it and post it for ya.

you mean what should he be able to get it to?
it depends on the cpu and mobo etc...
but if he can get it to 240 he will be at 3.0 ghz. now i say fsb to avoid confusion...but amd's external cpu clock is not the same as "fsb". but for the sake of simplicity, it will do in explanations. as far as what you see, fsb describes it well enough.

yeah dude they are quite a bit different. if you think of things in an intel fashion, i can usually use the terminology to explain the corresponding amd feature. it is different, tho. i've never overclocked an intel...i understand the principle, but not the practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom