How Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber.Logan

Baseband Member
this is my first post and sadly my first thread too and i feel bad am not able to introduce myself properly but i will as i start posting more often.

there are my worries for now as i am building my first custom pc :

1) at what point does it become an absolute necessity to overclock a gpu?

2) with emerging cooling options its becoming increasingly difficult to know which components need to be cooled the most.. which components would your concerns be?

3) does one need a gpu cooler for a videocard thats not over clocked?

4) whats the ideal temperature for the cpu and the gpu running at normal speed and at overclocked speeds?

5) do you think the nvidia 8600 GS is good enough for most current games in the market to be played on a 19 inch lcd?

thankyou.. any advice is appreciated

there is never a necessity to overclock unless you are top of the range 8800gtx ultra and you want to have those few more fps. It is also useful if you have an older card e.g. a 6 series and your games are unplayable because the fps are too low but you don't have that extra money for the new card. basically the only need to overclock is when you want something from nothing.

cpu is the main heat producing component the gpu is second. There are various methods to cool air is the cheapest and easiest but there are watercoolers, phase changing, heat pipes, compressed air vortex etc.....

you have to have a gpu cooler but you don't have to buy an after market cooler to overclock a gpu the stock fan is normally sufficient though if you have a passively cooled (heatpipes) card then your temps will rise rapidly

the ideal temp depends on room temperature lol if you live on the north pole -5 is a goo temperature if you live in the sahara then low 50's is probably a good temp it depends on ambient temperature

8600gt will play all the games on the market but not on highest settings it is designed for light gaming or lots of gaming on a htpc the 8800gts 320mb would be your best cheaper card for a 19" monitor and lots of gaming

there is never a necessity to overclock unless you are top of the range 8800gtx ultra and you want to have those few more fps. It is also useful if you have an older card e.g. a 6 series and your games are unplayable because the fps are too low but you don't have that extra money for the new card. basically the only need to overclock is when you want something from nothing.

cpu is the main heat producing component the gpu is second. There are various methods to cool air is the cheapest and easiest but there are watercoolers, phase changing, heat pipes, compressed air vortex etc.....

you have to have a gpu cooler but you don't have to buy an after market cooler to overclock a gpu the stock fan is normally sufficient though if you have a passively cooled (heatpipes) card then your temps will rise rapidly

the ideal temp depends on room temperature lol if you live on the north pole -5 is a goo temperature if you live in the sahara then low 50's is probably a good temp it depends on ambient temperature

8600gt will play all the games on the market but not on highest settings it is designed for light gaming or lots of gaming on a htpc the 8800gts 320mb would be your best cheaper card for a 19" monitor and lots of gaming

i get ur point.. what are the best non-water cooling options you can suggest for the gpu and cpu ?

i am going to keep 8800 gt in mind.. if this gpu isnt overclocked.. wud it still be enough?

Air cooling is the cheapest and easiest route. Unless you are planning to get hard-core, it will be all you need.

Go with a case that has decent airflow. At least one intake and one exhaust fan. If you are concerned about your CPU temps, go with an aftermarket cooler. Zalman, ThermalTake, ArticCooling are all great... just ask around or read through some posts.

The stock cooler on GFX cards are usually all you will ever need. Most that replace them do so to cut down on noise.

Overclocking boosts speed, but it is also a bragging rights issue. One does not have to overclock at all.

The 8600 falls somewhere between the 7600 and 7900 as far as performance. It should do you well. I have a 7800GTX and it rips through most anything. Maximum settings in games is, again, a bragging rights issue. I prefer to have my settings so that I can see what's going on, not how pretty the leaves on a tree are.

1. you dont have to overclock, get a good GPU to start with(8800 GTS 320/640MB) then you wont even need to overclock because there fast enough out of the box.
2.concerns are cpu and gpu mainly, but as said above buy a case with good cooling(at least 3/4 case fans) and you wont need to worry about temps.
3. also said above a GPU comes with a cooler, ive had high spec GPU's like a 7950GT 512MB and now this 8800GTS 640MB that i got yesterday and both run good temps in my Antec case(5 case fans).
4. Temps for a cpu and gpu not clocked and overclocked? well one cant really answer that as they vary so much depending on hardware, case, use's etc, get your pc and hardware then come back and ask us about your temps, thats your best bet.
5. yes the 8600GS will play all games but not at highest settings on a 19", i recommend getting a 8800GTS 320MB if you can because that will play most games on highest settings, not to mention it will last you alot longer than the 8600 which you will no dout get bored of very quick if you cant max any games out!

yeah i would y get a 320 gts a 8600 wont be all that good for gaming. but it will still play all games on lower settings.

To answer a couple of your questions, overclocking is up to you completely and what your running, if you feel its neccasary to overclock then go for it, otherwise dont. And as for cooling i use the watercooling system because its absolutely brilliant, very efficient and quite. My GPU needs a water cooling system anyway so i had no choice but to get one :p

Im currently using this GPU, and to be honest it runs like a dream!:) Best thing ive ever used;

BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme WaterCooled 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI

Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU.
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Soundcard.
Zalman Reserator2 Fanless Water Cooling System.
(2x) Seagate Cheetah 10K.7 300GB ST3300007LC 10,000RPM SCSI 8MB Cache (Ultra 320-SC2 80 Pin).
(2x) Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR2 PC2-5300C5 Dual Channel Kit.
Asus Striker Extreme nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX6800 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.93GHz
LiteOn LH-2B1S-490C 2x BD-R/RE Blu-Ray SATA DVD Writer
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX Extreme WaterCooled 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI

!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom