need ur help kinda small PSU and need a GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
ok my friend has a new computer not a real bad set up but it has onboard graphics and he wants me to find a card for him. His PSU is terrible so I am gonna give him my old one which is a 420W w/ 12V 17A dunno what its called but the one going to the graphics card itself. What is the best card he could get that will run on that PSU? needs to be on the cheaper side also he has, I think around 100-150 is the most he wants to spend without getting a new PSU other than my old one. He isn't a real hardcore computer gamer since he has his Xbox 360 but he just wants to be able to play a few games on it and the onboard isn't cuttin it for him. thanks

Does he have a PCI-e or AGP slot? I'm assuming PCI-e, when you said "the one going to the graphics card itself". Did you mean PCI-e power connector? Anyway I would suggest a 7600gt...

If he is not a gamer then I recommend 8500GT or 8600GT, because the new purevideo HD VP2 engine in 8500/8600 can offload from the CPU up to 100% of Blu-ray and HD DVD video decoding, enabling playback on mainstream CPUs and providing unsurpassed movie picture quality and low power consumption

Here is quote from techreport.com
In the four test movies, a lone Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor's CPU utlization ranges from 80% to 100%. Throw in a GeForce 7600 GT, and CPU utilization dips to 62-75%. However, with a GeForce 8600 GT, the charts say CPU utilization drops to a cool 20-21%.

The Tech Report - GeForce 8600 speeds up new PowerDVD software

id get a 7600gt like b1gapl said the 8500 is a budget card not worth it, if he was to get a 8*** series then id look at the 8600gts at the least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom