PC Build Error: Floppy disk(s) fail (40)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreysnyder04

Beta member
Ok, I bought a new motherboard, Processor, RAM, and Graphics card but planned on keeping the same HDD because it is a 300GB and has all my stuff on it. I AM NOT using a floppy drive. I built it and got an error during startup that said something along the lines of "floppy error, no 80 conductor. Press F1 to continue anyway". So.. I unplugged my 2nd HDD off the middle section of the IDE cable b/c I had been having trouble w/ this HDD and thought it was broken. So anyway I did this and got this error "Floppy disk(s) fail (40)" and I am given the option to press F1 to continue. When I do so it sits for a second saying Verifying DMI pool data and then I get a blue screen of death. I have attached screenshots of the process to better explain my situation. Im not sure if Its an IDE cable problem, if I need to reformat my HDD b/c I have made huge system changes, or what. Please help b/c I dont understand why its fussing about a Floppy Drive when I dont use one.

Blue Screen O DEATH
Verifying Pool data
Error

The floppy search and controller are still enabled in the bios setup. You need to go in there and disable those two items otherwise the post will continue to look for a drive you don't have. The problem with the second ide drive being set as slave may be resolved by trying the cable select jumper setting instead. Of you may need a better cable.

If you dont have a floppy drive, just disable all floppy boot, search, drive type, and controller options. I think your boot problem is that the os on the hdd is corrupt. If it came with a disk, try running repair on it.

The OS is what I'm making this post from. I had to rebuild w/ my old stuff to get on here to ask you guys these questions. So I dont think the OS is corrupt. I only get the issue after switching out my MOBO+RAM+G-card+processor. I looked at the bot sequence and it isnt on their although I did find it under some option. I forget what it was, but I tried to delete it and my only options where to move it up or down in the list, no remove. And it was the only item in the list. Does the BIOS change when you hook up a new mobo+components b/c I am not changing anything to make it work now, even with no Floppy w/ my old components.

The bios erpom chip stores a prgram on the board itself. That's why you see a battery to maintain the cmos information there. When you swap out the board, cpu, memory, and video card you are making a major hardware change which generally requires a fresh copy of Windows to be installed. It's called XP's hardware profiling where Windows takes a snapshot of your entire system.

Numerous people have informed me that changing hardware does not require a software re-install but since none of those people could tell me how to fix my problem, I suppose I will have to try that. The only issue is, Once I go balls to the walls and reformat my HD, I will no longer be able to easily rebuild to my old system to get help online. I'll have to wait till I go to work on monday. :snob:

Time to start backing up my stuff.. the one time when having a 300GB HDD is annoying.

To reinstall Windows or to perform a repair install you don't wipe the hard drive. Removing drivers for the other board and hardwares if installed would be the first step with a repair install to follow if Windows sees problems running. To perform a repair install of Windows read the article seen on this at How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Besides a possible need for that and a good install of the board and other drivers needed you still have to disable the floppy search setting in the bios setup. f you plan to eventually add a floppy drive? then you could leave the floppy controllers enabled while still not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom