shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres what i would fix:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

O16 - DPF: {B8E71371-F7F7-11D2-A2CE-0060B0FB9D0D} (CDToolCtrl Class) - http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/cdt175/aolcdt175.cab

O16 - DPF: {AC2881FD-5760-46DB-83AE-20A5C6432A7E} (SwapIt Control) - http://mirror.worldwinner.com/games...apit/swapit.cab

O16 - DPF: {62969CF2-0F7A-433B-A221-FD8818C06C2F} (Blockwerx Control) - http://mirror.worldwinner.com/games...x/blockwerx.cab

and this one is questionable:

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: NameServer = 207.99.0.1,207.99.0.2

if the domain is not from your ISP or company network, have HijackThis fix it.

Overall, it looks pretty much clean

Thanks jak... still having the shutdown problem though. I'm totally at a loss!

crickett : )>

i'm stumped too, the only other thing ithat i can think is that you are having an over-heating prob.....sorry i couldn't be more help....did you every get spybot s&d? let me know, the offerr still stands for me sending the file to you. I don't know though if your email account allows large (4.15mb) file attachments......let me know.

My PC spent time taking trying to shut down and i didnt know why, It didnt crash like yours sounds like it is doing but in the end the only thing i could do was back up all my programs etc and reinstall windows after formatting the partition. Might be the simplest thing to do if you have a seperate windows partition?

I don't think it's an overheating problem as it's a very consistent problem. I did get spybot and that showed nothing out of the ordinary... I try hard to keep a clean computer.
I'm afraid that my only recourse is going to be to... f... f... for... forr... gulp... yeah, format the hdd. It's never been done since I got the laptop almost 4 years ago (well actually I formatted it as soon as I got it to get all the crap that Dell pre-installed on it). And I've always felt that hdds have to be formatted after a few years and start from scratch in order to get a computer back to peak performance. My computer is set up so much like I want it that I hate having to do it all over again... oh well... c'est la vie.
Thanks for the help... I'm enjoying this forum and hope to hang out here regularly.

Crickett, i think there's an option in Win ME to turn off the system restore feature. Try disabling that and see if the problem still persists.

i dont think its anything other than a bad operating system! lol Windows ME should be banned from ALL computers...

just a thought :) upgrade the OS.

I'll try that Lone Wolf... thanks.
NYY... ya gotta go with what you have and WinME is what I have... upgrading isn't in my budget right now!

must admit i have never used ME, however i have heard it is a buggy os and my uncle has it and isnt too pleased with it!! The other option is just to turn off your system at the mains!! at least it wont take an age to shut down that way!!
LOL

Other than that try to cut down on the numbedr of background ops you have going on, check your start up manager for things you dont need running!

(btw your right i like this forum too, just joined but its already made its way on to my favourite list!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom