cant boot vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

snypercore

Daemon Poster
ok a while ago i had vista on its own partition on my slave drive, and XP on my master drive.
i used to switch my PC on and have a boot manager whree i could choose to boot vista or "earlier versions of windows" e.g XP PRO. i then formatted my XP drive and reinstalled XP, since then when ever i turn my pc on it boots straight to XP and i also see this screen which i dont knwo what it is and i have tried resetting my CMOS.
http://www.digibarn.com/collections/screenshots/IBM OS2 Warp 4/os24_boot.gif

included in this thread (the attatchment is a pic of my setup + boot.ini

ALSO i have run easy BCD and still nothing

Attachments

• boot.JPG
    boot.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 97
This is due to you reverting back to the older NTLDR as opposed to vista's new BOOTLDR. When you reinstall XP is writes over the BOOTLDR which Vista places on each primary boot partition if I recall reading right. What you have to do is boot off the Vista CD and enter the recovery section. Then simply choose to fix the MBR and it will reloard the proper BOOTLDR and give you the choices you had before.

EasyBCD should be able to fix this issue. I had this problem myself. You have to run the newest version EasyBCD 1.6 in order to correct this. Add the BCD and then add XP to it. XP will end up being your D: Drive since Vista when installed fresh takes the C: drive.

thank god someone has replied lol thanks,
well i have heard similar to what win2k has said however makevi..'s solution seem quicker therefore i will try his first and if it fails i shall try the longer solution provided by win2k thanks guys ill post back soon with results

ok guys i tried both and still the same thing, the vista recovery said it found a problem with teh startup and that it fixed it, and so did easyBCD but still same thing

nope, but bothe methods displayed a mesasge sayingit was fixed and that on reboot i would.. really confusing still cant boot to vista

also @ makaveli213, you seem to be all easyBCD crazy so i figure you could help.
in the pic above of the mapping of my 2 drives, if i install linux on the "vista F:" drive how can i set easyBCD to allow me to chose on power on which OS to use. also if i dont use esyBCD will i then not be able to boot to windows?

still any nwes on teh vista prob is also gratefull thanks

Okay Snyper i will forward your issue on to CG. He is the guy who create EasyBCD and has helped me with many of my issues with dual booting.

The best thign i can suggest right now is to go to NeoSmart Technologies and sign up on his forum and ask him yourself. He might be able to help you out fast than i can with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom