Building New PC! Need Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zetahammy

Baseband Member
Hello all. I'm new here and I've tried to read as much threads as I could to answer my questions, but none of them seem to exactly answer my needs. And I just wanted to post this to get some suggestions.

First off I'm looking to buy parts for a new computer mainly will be used for gaming like MMORPGs, RTS, and FPS. I'm looking probably to spend a max of maybe 1200-1400.

Case: Looking for a Mid to Full tower but doesn't really matter if you guys have any suggestions. I was thinking full because of the massive space, but still undecided.

Processor: Big Question. I was debating between the Intel Core2 Duo E6600 or the AMD athlon 64 6000+. I know its mainly a preference thing. But since they're the same price I guess I would prefer one which runs best for gaming and holds most stable in temperature. Also I'm not really looking to OC it either.

Mother Board: I have absolutely no idea. I guess with whatever CPU u recommend please add a stable and good MOBO please hehe :)

Video Card: I heard going SLI was a good bet but I wouldn't know where to start on that. And also I heard the GTS 8800 was the best. But which is better SLI or a single video card?

RAM: I was aiming to probably put 2gb worth of it. Was thinking of putting Corsairs because I heard they were pretty good. Any advice? And what kind exactly should I aim for?

HDD: Right now I have a 250gb SATA raid in my Comp. Should I aim to make another SATA on my new one? or just go for a solo big drive with high RPM?

PSU: Any good recommendations? I know for the rig i'm probably asking for will need one between 700~1000w.

Montior: I was thinking of going for a Samsung 20" widescreen.
like so: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 206BW Black 20" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 (DCR 3000:1) - Retail
But does brand really matter? Or can I get the same kind of monitor through another one like Acer or Viewsonic?

Any kind of advice is much appreciative even though you may only choose to answer a few. I'm sorry this is quite lengthy. But as you can see I'm kind of confused and seeking answers. I don't want to end up buying parts and happen to buy the wrong ones and waste money. Thanks! Thanks!

For a case, just get one you like, read the reviews, if you still have questions we could help you pick from your top 3 or 5 or w/e on which would be the best.

For a processor, I would say E6600.

Motherboard, Gigabyte DS3, mine has treated me well.

Video card, an 8800GTS 640 meg. version will do just fine on a Widescreen 20" monitor, but if you find room in your budget and feel like getting the best graphics card right now, then get the 8800GTX. Don't go SLI, waste of money in my opinion, the price/performance ratio is not nearly close to being high enough to justify your decision, unless you have extra money you feel like spending.

You should get this RAM, Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail It's what I have and will be just fine for you, and it's cheap as **** currently..

If your budget allows for it and you want a faster harddrive, then get a 74gig raptor or 150gig, then use your 250 HD as a backup.

This is a good PSU, Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TÃœV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Retail however there may be one that's similar and has a better price. Personally I like the 5 year warranty. You DO NOT need anywhere close to how much power you thought you might need.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

king Asutin that build isn't great no offence....

Case: any one with good reviews but the antec 900 is good and has plenty of space
cpu: e6600
Ram: g-skill hz's
Motherboard:depends what functions you want but these are good; asus p5b&p5n, Abit AW9D-max, Gigabyte ds3
videocard: sli gives you 40% performance boost for obviously the price of two cards you should get a 8800GTS 320mb from evga and then If you need more performance then use the step-up program to just pay the difference to a GTX
hdd: Seagate barracuda 7200.10 fast, reliable, 5 year warranty, they're also quite quiet but it depends which factory the drive was made in there is no way to tell until you have the hdd in your hand.
psu: for that rig 700W lol nowhere near that you can probably run it off of 400W but to be safe go with 550W the antec truepower trio isn't a great psu though or so I have been told

if u have enough money go for sum gskill hz's, gts 640, ds3, silverstone 560w, and just a single 320gb seagate 7200rpm(or if need more space x2 and raid)

Case: any one with good reviews but the antec 900 is good and has plenty of space
Motherboard:depends what functions you want but these are good; asus p5b&p5n, Abit AW9D-max, Gigabyte ds3
videocard: sli gives you 40% performance boost for obviously the price of two cards you should get a 8800GTS 320mb from evga and then If you need more performance then use the step-up program to just pay the difference to a GTX
hdd: Seagate barracuda 7200.10 fast, reliable, 5 year warranty, they're also quite quiet but it depends which factory the drive was made in there is no way to tell until you have the hdd in your hand.
psu: for that rig 700W lol nowhere near that you can probably run it off of 400W but to be safe go with 550W the antec truepower trio isn't a great psu though or so I have been told

little addition to that post... p5n-sli isn't that great, if u have no intention to overclock, p5n-sli will do u fine

I have the P5N, and it's a pretty good board. Got my FSB to 412. But I would of, gone with the DS3.

Welcome to T.F., zetahammy!

For a case have you considered the xclio windtunnel which has 6hd bays and two 250mm fans blowing from the side panel?

No offense taken, but why is mine not a good build? You are giving him a 320 meg card for a 1680x1050 resolution......not a good idea for future games. The step up program is only active for 3 months, hardly a good program unless you absolutely hate your card when you get it, currently his 320 meg will be fine, but for the future it won't be. My friend has the antec 900, it's a good case, but if you're going to have it right next to you on the desk it gets annoying. If he has the money I would definitely go with a raptor, not a 7200rpm HD.... I'm not exactly sure what model the HZ's are since I can't seem to find them on newegg, but if it's more expensive then the RAM I listed it's a waste. The ram I listed can hit 4-4-4-10 on stock settings, and since he won't be overclocking that is absolutely perfect for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom