a few display questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitotsu

Baseband Member
ive read up on a few possible solutions one that i think may be it...
i may have installed the ram backwards
Q: how do i know which way it goes in XD lol sry but im fairly new to the hardware part of computers

ive also read it could be my cmos (dont worry i read how in the sticky no need to repeat it again :p)

but are there any other things that could be doing it?
if so any information would be apprecaited

ram will only go in one way because of the notch on the socket, the display problem could reside in the software or the hardware itself.

the thing is the computer worked a few weeks ago (old obselete pc that my friend gave me the case is good big nuff to hold p4 motherboard ^_^)
and r u sure i read on another site that u can install it backwards

i assume i would hear a crack or something then XD it fit in normally XD so yah any solutions to my problem other then a cmon restart or no?

clear your cmos, if you have onboard graphics and an addon card, then remove the addon card, and try the onboard just by itself.

i got a few questions first before you do that: When you start your computer, does it beep? also, do the fans and harddrives spin up, and the lights light up?

or when you press the button does it sound normal, just no display?
(things to check, try all available monitor hookups on the back of the pc, if there is more than one, then just moving the cable might solve the problem)

or when you press the button does it beep at you?
(if so, please tell the number and frequency of the beeps, EG: 3 short beeps then a 1sec wait and 3 more short beeps, repeats till power off)

or when you press the button does it not do anything at all?
(your powersupply may have died)

and last but not least, what are the specifications of the pc, eg: mobo, ram, psu, and cpu?

it turns on just like it should the monitor registers that somethings there but it shows a black screen the computer turns on it like the led in the front indicating power turns on and i hear all the fans turn on and everything but im not sure if i hear any beeps im 80% sure i didnt hear any...although i cant check right now im at my friends house so ill check later and report back

and btw there is only 1 monitor jack

its integrated tho...and it worked a week ago or so and it hasnt even been turned on since then XD y would it break...im thinking i maybe just put the ram in wrong or the new ram stick i put in wasnt compatable cause it didnt work after i played around with the ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom