Noob Needs Advise for Building Gaming Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 8800GTS 640mb, is a good choice for your monitor.

The ram choice is awesome. Don't get 4gb, since you said you're already over budget. 2gb of ram is just fine.

That hard drive is very good.

If you decide not to change the CPU and motherboard, everything will still be compatible.

The 500w PSU, that Sora suggested earlier, will run that system fine. I'd prefer the 550w version though, but that's me.

thanks guys, other than switching my processor and mobo, i think this build is just about done... ive got everything else picked out, and it looks solid... unless you can think of anything else, or have any other advice, thanks for everything and wish me luck! - RK

can u post a list of ur finalized build, cuz if u made changes in ur head i really wouldn't know

despite the protests of some people in this forum, i am indeed sticking with AMD X2 over Intel C2D, though i did change to a much faster model than first listed, as i found a great deal on it... and it should be more than enough for my system... here is the complete, and pretty much final listing...

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0 GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB / Socket AM2 / Dual Core (Windsor) / Processor with Fan

Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe / NVIDIA nForce 570 / Socket AM2 / ATX / Audio / PCI Express / SLI Ready / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID / Motherboard

Memory/RAM: G.SKILL / Dual Channel / 2GB (2 x 1GB) / PC6400 DDR2 / 800MHz / Memory

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS / 640MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / HDCP Enabled / Video Card

Hard Drive: Seagate / 320GB / 7200 / 16MB / Serial ATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive

*Power Supply: Ultra / X-Connect / 500-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / Titanium-Color / UV Clear Sides / Modular Power Supply

DVD Burner: Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SuperAllwrite / 20x DVD±R Burn / 16x DVD±R Read / 8x DVD+RW / 6x DVD-RW / 8x DVD±R DL / 12x DVD-RAM / 48x32x CD-R/RW / Black / SATA / DVD Burner with Lightscribe

Case: Raidmax Ninja / Black / ATX Mid-Tower Case / Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

Monitor: Samsung 226BW / 22" Wide / 2ms / 1000:1(DC 3000:1) Contrast Ratio / WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 / Gloss Black / DVI / Widescreen LCD Monitor

Input Devices: Logitech MX3200 Cordless Desktop / Keyboard and Laser Mouse Combo

* im only gonna buy a new power supply if (or when, rather...) the one my case comes with fails...

well, thats it folks.... its changed alot since i first thought it up, and a lot of the different parts i decided to put in are really gonna make it nice i think... the only thing is that with all the upgrades i put in, im gonna be about $200 over budget still and will likely be forced to wait till the end of the month to actually buy everything... everything is either off of newegg or tigerdirect as they have the lowest prices (unless someone knows somewhere just as reliable i can get parts for less?)...

unless anyone has any final thoughts, comments, or concerns...

thank you to everyone out there who helped me out by posting in this thread, i really appreciate it... ill see ya'll on some random game server some day soon... thanks - J

C2D's are WAY better for that price. AMD's are really only cost effective for the lower models. For that price an E6600 would destroy it, and it would OC higher. Just look at any benchmarks you will see. Anyhow the 8800 is not only DX10 which is way more future proof, but it is more powerful with a better architecture. It has unified shaders which is better, just ask anyone on here. If you don't want to spend the cash the 7950 is good but an 8800 would destroy it and last you longer.

agree w/ this, I switched from AMD to Intel and am very happy that I did, the c2d's and 8800 are both affordable and a great price for the show (older rig was amd + 7950 to a intel c2d + 8800)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom