svchost.exe takes up 100% of CPU on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To bring up the msconfig screen you type in msconfig like it's spelled at the Run commamd prompt off of the Start menu. There are two groups with one being for advanced users. Your main concern would be the startup group tab the last one on the right. Anything you uncheck there can be rechecked later to enable something like items for video, sound, programmable mouse, keyvoard.

The quick way there while being an annoyance rebooting a few times would be to choose the disable all option. That's only done with severe problems like Windows stalling on boot. The next tab over is the services group where you want to check the "hide all microsoft services" box before attempting anything. Several MS services are needed for Windows to run. Once you uncheck anything you have to restart the system to put that into effect.

Hi There,

We see this problem alot with clients. Feel free to drop me a personal email and I will send you a file that will fix it for you

Kind Regards

Louise

I don't know why but i ended one of the svchost processes and it's working fine again; haven't restarted so i'm not sure if i'll have to do it all the time :-/

i'm still having the same problem. i've used the reset reinstall etc batch files, i've disabled automatic updates, cleaned msconfig and services.msc, and i've finally narrowed it down to winmgmt.exe.... which is what's causing the ****ing issue, as far as i can tell :(
any luck over there???

If that were my system, I'd do the following:

reboot to safe mode

browse to C:\windows\system32

then I'd view -> list

then arrange by "modified" (date changed)

I'd scroll right to the end, and delete the files I know are not part of the operating system, or any plugins I need.
If necessary, I can use a program called unlocker to delete them.
Or I can even close explorer.exe and use a command prompt to delete them (remembering what their file names are)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom