Should I get a PC at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

multi86

Solid State Member
Hi,

I've been using my Pentium 4 equipped computer for a few yrs now. I decided it is time to upgrade since it is becoming slow and unfit for games. I'm planning to build a system and just keep the HDD.

My question/problem is:

SHOULD I UPGRADE NOW?
The concern being is that I see all those updates and announcements of new, fast and improved products (i.e. CPU). Everyone is talking about how QuadCore is the new technology that will reshape the PC market, which is too expensive to be affordable at the moment. All the discussion about AMD upcoming chipsets such as Barcelona, which will be uber fast as well make me believe that if I buy a system now, it will become obsolete and incomparable to all the upcoming CPUs

Does it make sense to buy an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (E6300) at the moment?
Because it looks like most PCs will be equipped with QuadCore chips in 1-2 yrs. I wouldn't want to invest in another PC or a motherboard in 1-2 yrs. Also there is the issue of the new DDR3 technology; once again, it promises a better functioning and more efficient memory than DDR2.
It is just that I wanted to get a new PC this summer and all those swift technological advances bring a lot of uncertainty for someone who wants to purchase a PC.

Appreciate the help.

Well you can't keep up with technology, because there will be always something new brewing, the next month.

I'd suggest you wait, until July 22, when Intel makes it's price drops. You can get a quad core for just $266. Or the 1333MHz C2Ds, like the E6550.

Oh.....Welcome to T.F.!

Or you could get a low end AMD now to tide you over for the summer, then try to sell it and invest in a quad core system at the end of the summer. Its really your choice but you cannot stay on top of technology.

Just wondering, What would you guys think is better, A Quad core or a dual core running at 1333 MHz on the fsb?

Well quad cores, aren't fully optimized yet. Also depends on what you're going to be using it for. For gaming, I suggest dual core. A quad core, would serve better with encoding and stuff.

well a dual core will be fine for long time i say like the P4 lasted a while but quad core is really not needed for a while but the q6600 will be 270 i think when they lower price so ya might want to just wait

wait until july (intel price drops) to buy a new system if you want to buy intel or wait until about autumn and buy an AMD AM2+ system as they are releasing a whole new series of chips which are suppose to be incredible

I'd wait until July 22 and get the quad core for $266 and that should last for a long time.

reason being is crysis should be multithreaded, the new lost planet game is, etc. Reports are showing that Lost Planet for instance will push both cores to 100%! Good future proofing IMHO.

Thnx for the replies all.
I'm still not sure about my decision. Waiting till July 22nd for a price drop on
E6600 sounds smart, but this will leave me with a piece of junk P4 for the majority of my summer vacation. I read some more about QuadCores and its true, it is not really needed yet, as it will only expected to become the standard in mid 2009 (based on what I read).

Waiting till July 22nd to buy a QuadCore CPU at an affordable price might seem like a smart investment as well, while it will last for some years. However, buying a QuadCore CPU in two months will require me to spend more money on parts such as: mobo, cooling, video card...
I don't have that high of a budget. I am also not a hardcore gamer as in the past, so I won't need a ubber fast gaming machine.
I just want a good PC for some yrs to come, that won't be slow; mainly for interned, and of course some games (i.e, Call of Duty 2, NFS series, maybe even GTA IV if it will come out on PC).

Thanks.

with time prices drop so you won't have to pay more money on components.............. You don't sound like you need to have the best an greatest quad core just go with a e6600 and overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom